Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass tuning when guitar is in drop d

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tim99, Jun 1, 2003.

1. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I am working on Keep Away by Godsmack.

The internet tabs for this song show four string drop d bass tab.

I have a 5 string with a low b string.

I can play the low d on the 5th string in this song without tuning my 4 string down.

What, typically, do most basses with 5 string low b string basses tune their 5 strings to when the guitar player is tuning to drop d? Do they tune the 4 sting to d? What do they tune the 5 string to? How does this relate to 7 string guitars?

Please do not reply to my questions with some type of "hey do what ever works for you", I am really interested in the tuning of most basses who play this type of music with a guitar player who is using drop d, and maybe a 7 string guitar

I found this interview searching for godsmack "drop d":

http://www.smackfans.com/interviews/guitarcom01-22-2001.html

Thanks, Tim.

2. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    A seven string guitar typically goes BEADGBE. The lower five strings are tuned like your five-string bass, so those work well together.

If you guys really need that drop D, instead of you using your fiver and the guitarist playing a seven-string, a fun drop tuning is to drop your low B to A, and your E to D...I believe Tool tunes like this, and my band occasionally does.

Another option is to just drop your E to D and ignore your low B string, but what fun is that?

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If the song requires lots of riding on the open D, then you should tune your E to D and have B-D-A-D-G
    If it is just a note that is hit from time to time, and you can hit it comfortably on the 3rd fret of your B string, then you shouldn't need to change your tuning at all.

I thought that the tool bassist only used 4 strings?

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i use my low B. it makes more scence for me, and i laugh with the drummer while only the guitars tune down (ha ha to them) :)

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Last I checked, Justin Chancellor, Tool's bass player, di use a four string. However, he may have changed his preferences, or maybe I just haven't seen the right pictures or read the right interviews. I'm a huge Tool nut, so if anyone knows otherwise, please advise. :D

6. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Bass extenders are really really neat, if you play in Drop D even a little bit, I recommend looking into one.(even on a 5 string)