bass tuning when guitar is in drop d

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tim99, Jun 1, 2003.

1. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I am working on Keep Away by Godsmack.

The internet tabs for this song show four string drop d bass tab.

I have a 5 string with a low b string.

I can play the low d on the 5th string in this song without tuning my 4 string down.

What, typically, do most basses with 5 string low b string basses tune their 5 strings to when the guitar player is tuning to drop d? Do they tune the 4 sting to d? What do they tune the 5 string to? How does this relate to 7 string guitars?

Please do not reply to my questions with some type of "hey do what ever works for you", I am really interested in the tuning of most basses who play this type of music with a guitar player who is using drop d, and maybe a 7 string guitar

I found this interview searching for godsmack "drop d":

Thanks, Tim.
  2. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    A seven string guitar typically goes BEADGBE. The lower five strings are tuned like your five-string bass, so those work well together.

If you guys really need that drop D, instead of you using your fiver and the guitarist playing a seven-string, a fun drop tuning is to drop your low B to A, and your E to D...I believe Tool tunes like this, and my band occasionally does.

Another option is to just drop your E to D and ignore your low B string, but what fun is that?
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If the song requires lots of riding on the open D, then you should tune your E to D and have B-D-A-D-G
    If it is just a note that is hit from time to time, and you can hit it comfortably on the 3rd fret of your B string, then you shouldn't need to change your tuning at all.

I thought that the tool bassist only used 4 strings?
  4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i use my low B. it makes more scence for me, and i laugh with the drummer while only the guitars tune down (ha ha to them) :)
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Last I checked, Justin Chancellor, Tool's bass player, di use a four string. However, he may have changed his preferences, or maybe I just haven't seen the right pictures or read the right interviews. I'm a huge Tool nut, so if anyone knows otherwise, please advise. :D
  6. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Bass extenders are really really neat, if you play in Drop D even a little bit, I recommend looking into one.(even on a 5 string)