1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass tunning???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sublimestylee, Aug 26, 2007.

1. sublimestylee

sublimestylee

Aug 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    i am new to the bass, i just picked up a warwick corvette rockbass, and now i need to know how to tune it. is there any good/easy ways to do this? i notice they also sell tuners as well. is it worth the money to invest in a tuner? any help is greatly appreciated

2. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    http://www.tunemybass.com/

Make sure your bass is tuned up EVERY time you start to play.

It will save you a lot of embarrassment later.

3. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    A $15.00 Korg portable tuner would be good to have. Its small and operates with batteries, so you can take wherever you go with your bass.

Good Luck and Have Fun! :bassist:

4. sublimestylee

sublimestylee

Aug 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    thanks for the quick responses. i'm gonna run by this bass shop on the way home and check out there tuners.

5. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    tunning is for guitarists. get a fretless...

im just kidding. i actually dont own a tuner.(i know that sounds really bad but ive gone years without one and i havent had a problem) my marcus miller pegs are so stiff it rarely comes out of tune. and i know almost instantly if it does. and due to excessive playing and having a decent ear it only takes moment to fix. i just got a warwick streamer, i dont kow how well that compares in terms of staying in tune yet. but i highly suggest a tuner. doesnt have to be expensive either.

as for tips? i usually ask the guitarist to play either an A or a D and i tune from that. i use harmonics to tune cause its more clear and easier to hear the beats in offset notes. i dont know how far along you are in bass but by using the harmonics i mean the harmonic on the 5th fret of one string and the harmonic of the 7th fret on the string above. for example...

G-----
    D-*7-
    A-*5-
    E-----

6. Definitely get a tuner. If you can tune by ear and have a reference you won't need one, but a tuner is really handy to have so you can check yourself as you learn.

7. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Get a tuner, but learn not to depend on it. Practice tuning when you can to a tuning fork, keyboard, guitar. Work on tuning the bass to itself it will be different in most cases than a tuner. So tune one string with your tuner, typically your D-string. Now use harmonics and tune the rest of the bass to itself. Also for awhile check your tuning all the time before practice, during practice, anytime you pickup the bass. This will help get you used to hearing the pitch the open strings should be at.

Best to have experienced all the ways of tuning just in case you need them one day.

8. Lol. I read "I'm new to bass and have a warwick...." then saw where it said rockbass. But don't get me wrong they're still good models. As far as your question, definately get a tuner. They're 15 bucks and make your bass sound good every time.

9. sublimestylee

sublimestylee

Aug 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    haha, i wish i had a higher end warwick but mine does just fine for me right now. anyways i went to a local gc and picked up a tuner today. soon i wanna teach myself hermonics