Bass types

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leadfingers@pv, Oct 26, 2002.

1. I have been playing bass off and on for several years now, but on borrowed basses. I got into playing more or less by accident so I haven't done much homework on the different types of basses. I was given a Squire Bullet Bass, (ok, I've read the posts so lets not go there) and have a question about the different types of basses. So, what is the difference between a P-bass and a J-bass? Also, in the 4-string basses, is there a difference in the necks?
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The main differences between a Precision bass and a Jazz bass:

P has one split coil humbucker, J has two single coils.

P has one volume and one tone control, J has 2 volumes and one tone.

P neck is wider at the nut than a J neck.

P neck has a chunkier profile(front to back thickness) than a J neck.

P body is smaller and lighter than a J body.

J body has an offset waist, P does not

P has a one piece pickguard/control cavity cover, J has a separate pickguard and metal control cavity cover.

J is capable of more tonal variety than a P, due to the fact that it has two pickups.

P does not have any hum, unless you are in a room with really bad interference or bad electrical outlets.

J pickups will usually hum if soloed, due to their single coil design.

J pickups are capable of more high mids and highs, again due to their single coil design.

J can sound kind of like a P, but not exactly.

P can not sound like a J.

Here are pictures to help you see some of the differences.

Precision Bass

Jazz Bass

3. Thanks to embellisher, that was probably the best explanation I could have gotten. Who says your'e an "unhelpful jerk"? By the way, my bass will actually stay in tune for about a week and a half - unless it rains.