1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass types

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by leadfingers@pv, Oct 26, 2002.

1. I have been playing bass off and on for several years now, but on borrowed basses. I got into playing more or less by accident so I haven't done much homework on the different types of basses. I was given a Squire Bullet Bass, (ok, I've read the posts so lets not go there) and have a question about the different types of basses. So, what is the difference between a P-bass and a J-bass? Also, in the 4-string basses, is there a difference in the necks?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The main differences between a Precision bass and a Jazz bass:

P has one split coil humbucker, J has two single coils.

P has one volume and one tone control, J has 2 volumes and one tone.

P neck is wider at the nut than a J neck.

P neck has a chunkier profile(front to back thickness) than a J neck.

P body is smaller and lighter than a J body.

J body has an offset waist, P does not

P has a one piece pickguard/control cavity cover, J has a separate pickguard and metal control cavity cover.

J is capable of more tonal variety than a P, due to the fact that it has two pickups.

P does not have any hum, unless you are in a room with really bad interference or bad electrical outlets.

J pickups will usually hum if soloed, due to their single coil design.

J pickups are capable of more high mids and highs, again due to their single coil design.

J can sound kind of like a P, but not exactly.

P can not sound like a J.

Here are pictures to help you see some of the differences.

Precision Bass

[​IMG]

Jazz Bass

[​IMG]

3. Thanks to embellisher, that was probably the best explanation I could have gotten. Who says your'e an "unhelpful jerk"? By the way, my bass will actually stay in tune for about a week and a half - unless it rains.