Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Under 250$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flea, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Flea

Flea

Apr 16, 2004
    I've been playing guitar for a while and now i've come to the decision that i want to start playin bass also. I really dont know much about basses and was wondering if you guys could throw in a few suggestions on a good under 250 bass.

Thanks alot

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Used MIM J or P, maybe an Ibanez if you like their instruments. Essex also has reasonable prices.

Good luck, welcome to low end

3. I would buy something used as you get more bass for the buck,....

I've always liked Yamaha basses for the price range your looking at......

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buy used, however you haven't told us which style. I assume you're going for the funky stuff a la Flea, so an OLP Stingray might be a good look-see.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    [​IMG]

Fernandes Retrospect 4. About $200.

I'm getting a 5...

6. look around for a fernandes atlas on ebay, they are kind of scarce but they are a good bang for the buck... or you could get an essex www.rondomusic.bigstep.com

7. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Def buy used man...

I just wanted to say one thing though.

DONT BUY A SQUIER!!!!

Seriously though, squier are outgrown really quick and it seems everyone I know buys one to learn on. Dont make that mistake.

8. My starter bass was a peavey foundation, and I love it and still play it. If you can find one they're good, or I would suggest a MIM Jazz. Essex are decent also.

9. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I got a Squier and still use it in the studio(has a Fender '62 RI P pickup in it). Haven't used it live much because I only take two basses with me and I prefer the Jazz and MM tones live. There are some songs I'd use it on, but my rig already takes up enough space in the truck/van/car

10. yamaha rbx774, if MF or your local store still has them on closeout... it's definitely not a $250 bass--more like a $400-$450 bass--but it was (as of a week or so ago) available new at MF for $250. there's a 5 string version too (rbx775) for an extra $30 or so.