Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass under $700(NEW) w\ a good B string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 20, 2003.

1. one of my buddies is looking for a new bass, and is considering getting a 5 string. I've reccommended a couple, but I'd like to hear what you guys think is good as well..or even your favorite B string on a bass worth up to 700 bucks(brand new)

he's not into the whole buying used basses thing yet, so please don't be like " get a used ____"..please!

2. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i think ill tell you that he should get a used. my first was a new, but my second and third have been used and id have it no other way. just check the reviews on bgra,net and harmony-central.com first. i just got a 1200 dollar peavey millennium 5 off of ebay for 479. i got it yesterday and it is perfect. i guess you have to be willing to take that risk. if hes gonna get a new one i think he should get a g&l tribute 2500. they are around 570 to 590 depending on the wood you want. definitely a good deal.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Lakland Skyline 55-01's can be had for right in his price range...

...PM or e-mail me for where! ;)

4. notabob...I even told him the Tribute L2500....what's in that bass that isn't to like?

5. I second the Lakland. They'll fit his budget, barely. I generally see them online for about $699. He'll still have to find extra money for a case, and shipping if he goes the online route, but that's still his best bet, in my opinion of course:D

6. that's why I said under 700 bucks...he can barely extend his budget up to 600....

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The MTD Heir is in that price range.

That or save another $400 and take a quantum leap up to the Lakland Skyline 55-02.

Both basses are very good for the money.

8. my schecter stilleto elite-5 is amazing! I just love everything about it, it goes for 600 and the b is amazing the 35" really makes a difference for me at least. Washburn makes a 450 dollar bass called the taurus and its really amazing too.
    -Ryan :bassist:

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yep, you guys just sold me one!!! I went w/ a deluxe finish, however,, so it was slightly higher than 7 bills.

If that's too high for ya,,, try the MTD Kingston 5s,,, or a GL Tribute L-2500.

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    thats three for the tribute so far. tell him to get that. i particullarly like the blueburst finish of the plus model but ive heard the tone of the premium model is better.

11. yea, 3 that have said Tribute in this thread alone........sounds good!

I love my G&L L2500......and I think this dude'll love the Tribute...he wanted to get the blueburst finish(like me, but on tribute)but I told him that would sacrifice having Ash...I prefer the sound of Ash, but I know the electronics on this bass will make basswood sound good as well......

I have till monday to tell him which one to definitely aim for.......

he plays w\ a pick more than anything( he's a guitarist playing bass...metallicaddict)and I have to admit my L2500 has a really good picktone.....

12. I would say to go with a Lakland 55-01

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, i was gonna get the tribute 2500 but i found a deal on a peavey millennium i couldnt pass up. let him play your g&l to see if he likes it. they are practically the same thing but the bodies and necks are made in korea. same pickups tho.