1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass under $700(NEW) w\ a good B string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Sep 20, 2003.

1. one of my buddies is looking for a new bass, and is considering getting a 5 string. I've reccommended a couple, but I'd like to hear what you guys think is good as well..or even your favorite B string on a bass worth up to 700 bucks(brand new)

he's not into the whole buying used basses thing yet, so please don't be like " get a used ____"..please!

2. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    i think ill tell you that he should get a used. my first was a new, but my second and third have been used and id have it no other way. just check the reviews on bgra,net and harmony-central.com first. i just got a 1200 dollar peavey millennium 5 off of ebay for 479. i got it yesterday and it is perfect. i guess you have to be willing to take that risk. if hes gonna get a new one i think he should get a g&l tribute 2500. they are around 570 to 590 depending on the wood you want. definitely a good deal.

3. Gard

Gard

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Lakland Skyline 55-01's can be had for right in his price range...

...PM or e-mail me for where! ;)

4. notabob...I even told him the Tribute L2500....what's in that bass that isn't to like?

5. I second the Lakland. They'll fit his budget, barely. I generally see them online for about $699. He'll still have to find extra money for a case, and shipping if he goes the online route, but that's still his best bet, in my opinion of course:D

6. that's why I said under 700 bucks...he can barely extend his budget up to 600....

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    The MTD Heir is in that price range.

That or save another $400 and take a quantum leap up to the Lakland Skyline 55-02.

Both basses are very good for the money.

8. my schecter stilleto elite-5 is amazing! I just love everything about it, it goes for 600 and the b is amazing the 35" really makes a difference for me at least. Washburn makes a 450 dollar bass called the taurus and its really amazing too.
    -Ryan :bassist:

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yep, you guys just sold me one!!! I went w/ a deluxe finish, however,, so it was slightly higher than 7 bills.

If that's too high for ya,,, try the MTD Kingston 5s,,, or a GL Tribute L-2500.

10. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    thats three for the tribute so far. tell him to get that. i particullarly like the blueburst finish of the plus model but ive heard the tone of the premium model is better.

11. yea, 3 that have said Tribute in this thread alone........sounds good!

I love my G&L L2500......and I think this dude'll love the Tribute...he wanted to get the blueburst finish(like me, but on tribute)but I told him that would sacrifice having Ash...I prefer the sound of Ash, but I know the electronics on this bass will make basswood sound good as well......

I have till monday to tell him which one to definitely aim for.......

he plays w\ a pick more than anything( he's a guitarist playing bass...metallicaddict)and I have to admit my L2500 has a really good picktone.....

12. I would say to go with a Lakland 55-01

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yeah, i was gonna get the tribute 2500 but i found a deal on a peavey millennium i couldnt pass up. let him play your g&l to see if he likes it. they are practically the same thing but the bodies and necks are made in korea. same pickups tho.