1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Upgrade suggestions (Bongo, $$, G&L 2000, ??)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garythenuke, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Okay, I want to upgrade eventually from an ATK700. My new spec wish list is pretty simple, but I don't know who has them. So I am hoping for the thousands of years of cumulative experience on this board to help me out::help:

• four string
    • Dual H
    • Wide array of electronic control on the bass
    • 19mm string spacing
    • easy access to 24 frets (fingers 1-4 can get to strings 1-4 at fret 24 without knuckle busting contortions)
    • Hardwood body preferred... (I've been reading mixed messages on Basswood, but not totally set against)

Do I have to go boutique? I'd MUCH rather stay production$$$...

I'm not in a "this week or next" rush, rather I'm in the infancy of my research. I'm not going Wal on this either, my budget is WAY less than that.

I am ALL for used if it works, I don't need brandy-new...

The bassists I enjoy most (and whom I'd like to sound like) are; Stanley Clark, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Flea, Jaco, Justin Chancelor, Victor Wooten, Chris Squire, John Entwistle, Cliff Burton and "just" a couple of others...

I know post-bass electronics have alot (if not most) to do with all of these tones.... I'd like to get all I can in the bass, and then worry about follow up electronics afterwords...

I also know I've been all over the board with this sort of thing recently including a focus on TOOL. I also know that the best weapon in this battle is a couple of thousand hours of practice.:bassist: Please forgive my enthusiasm...
    Thanks in advance for everyone's help and patience.

GTN

2. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    There're many options aren't there?

First thing that came to mind is the Ibanez SRX series. You can also explore Warwick models like the Corvette $$.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Corvette $$ +1

4. Boy there certainly are a bunch of options out there... Thank you very much for the super quick replies. I'll put these three on my list to research.

My budget will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 USD (possible Bongo territory for example). I don't have that at the moment, so by necessity I have some time to research and save. Has anyone experienced Warwicks to be, uh... "less than bright sounding"? I've talked to one player who dumped his Warwick because it was dead sounding (all the way around) and the other couple he's tried were the same...

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Bongo? Seems like it fits most of your requirements.

6. ^^^Yeah it does... My two apprehensions are the basswood and whether you can actually get to all 24 frets. It's hard to tell from photos how much the neck and body are in the way of fret 24.

7. Taking a look at the Warwick site, many of their Corvettes reach the Wal territory in price... That's too much. Of course I can hope for a screaming deal on a used one.

8. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    A G&L L2000 would be an obvious choice, but it's a 21-fret neck, and full access to 24 frets is one of your requirements.

Since you're torn between custom boutique (to get just what you want) and economy of scale, how about a Carvin 4-string Bunny Brunel model (BB70)?

[​IMG]

As you can see, the long upper horn would provide good balance, and the deep cutaway would give great access to the top of the fretboard. Matching headstock comes standard, but there are at least a couple dozen colors and finishes you can pick. It also comes standard with an ebony board. The pickup selection is up to you--shown is the standard config, but you can get dual humbuckers for a $10 upcharge. You can also pick your tonewoods and pick flamed or figured veneer tops as well. It also comes standard with active electronics with blend knob, 3-band EQ, plus sweep. You can get splitters for the humbuckers as well. Did I mention it's a neck-thru construction?

I ran a BB70 through their configurator, and an ash-bodied maple neck model with burst finish, matching headstock, 2HB and splitter, and hardshell case came to about $1150.

Another alternative would be a Cort B4 or Ibanez SR500 (basically same guitar) for about $550 and replace the stock Korean-made Bartolinis with their USA-made drop-in replacements, the Mk4CBC. I did this with a Cort B4FL (fretless) I picked up in trade and it's everything I could want. Mine's an older model with mahogany body and 2-band EQ. The new B4's have an ash body and 3-band EQ, which is even better for your needs.

9. I really like the look of the Carvin, and it does seem to fit all of my requirements. I looked through the site and there are a huge array of options. I could not find the configurator though...

Is there a thread here discussing the pro's and con's of Carvin and the stock gear they come with?? I don't "see" any downside to them....

10. They have really bad resale value, but other than that, the ones ive played have been fantastic.
    If you can find a bongo to try out, do it. they are really cool basses, i love em.

11. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    My Corvette's lower horn does impede playing a little up at the 24th fret. It's only slight but you should play one before you buy one.

I have the Standard model with the D shaped neck.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

String spacing on the Bongo is 17.5 mm. Basswood shouldn't be a concern. The main reason why basswood isn't that appreciated is because it's not a "pretty" wood. That's the reason why Bongos aren't offered in natural but solid colors only. But I can tell you: The EBMM Bongo is a tone monster.

About 24th fret access: Not bad, but it isn't the best either. That's not uncommon on bolt-on basses. A neck-through bass will give you plenty of access to that area. Of course I don't know what kind of stuff you want to play on the latest frets but, as a point of reference, I can tell you that the highest-pitched parts of this solo recorded with my Steinberger XL2 are much more difficult (but not impossible) to play on the Bongo.

Of course, I'm a huge Bongo fan and to me it's one of the best mass-production basses ever made. But string spacing and access to the 24th fret may not meet your own requirements.

Hope this helps.

13. The Ibby SR and SRX are both narrow necks, about 17.3 mm
    BTB series has wider necks. May need new pu's . Lousy resale,so pick up used. I have an SRX 700. Great tone, tho more like a lakland than a Ray sound.

Ibby SRX with thru neck has full 24 fret access. Not sure what the good of A and E string access up that far is.

The Standard necks on most of the L2k's are also jazz size, I believe, tho you can get P width.

Guitar center usually has Rays, but I havent seen the Bongo's there with the basswood.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Oops! I was thinking of my 5-string. The 4-string version is 19 mm. My mistake.

The Ibanez SRX 4-string has a wider string spacing than the SR, IIRC.

EDIT:

(On the SRX 500)
    From http://sites.thestar.com.my/audio/440Hz/440_story.asp?file=/2005/5/12/audiofile/12srx500

15. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    A few things I really like about the $$ over the Stingray is the wider nut width, thicker neck profile, and more tonal options.

16. Boy oh boy, what great information again. I knew I came to the right place. Hey Alvaro, do you have a video of that solo on a Bongo?? I like the fact that the Bongo has 19mm spacing.

Thank you again.:hyper:

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

No, man. I hardly play that solo on my Bongo precisely because of the harder access to the 24th fret.

18. That's kind of what I figured... Though it would have been an instant selling point for me on the Bongo...

19. Mostly that's my own personal hyperbole.... It's one of my trademarks:smug:

I am becoming more and more sold on through necks due to the better access. I have heard so many mixed opinions on the tone and sustain differences that I'm inclined to think there is no difference...

Why do Carvin's have such poor resale? Are they just not enough of a "collector's" bass???

20. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I thought it was something to do with their electronics not being up to snuff.

This is what I remember reading on here though, and that was around when I joined. I assume Carvin has changed their construction of electronics.