1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Upgrade That Worked !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Orlando, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Dec 21, 2002
    Fort Myers
    <b>I just wanted to share a good experience I had with upgrading a formerly “average
    sounding” bass. I bought an Ampeg AEB1 bass a while back. This is the wood version of
    the “see through” Dan Armstrong bass. The AEB1 was made in Japan for Ampeg and
    was only made for a few years with production ending around 2000 but they are still
    floating around. The bass is a shortscale (30”) with a passive Seymore Duncan Bass Lines
    pickup like that on the MusicMan basses. The bass sounded ok in stock form but I just
    put in a Seymore Duncan STC3M3 active tone circuit and WOW!!! I can’t decide which
    sounds better... the Ampeg bass or my Alembic Essence! You need to tweek the 2 trim
    pots on the circuit board to get the sound you want but this thing is really punchy with
    tons of highs. So I paid $400 for the bass, $120 for the STC3M3 and another $100 to get
    a pro to route out the control cavity to fit everything plus install a battery box in the back.
    $620 and it sounds killer! </b>

<b><font color=red>Check out <a href=”URL”>www.cdbaby.com/mediacrime</a>for a
    free preview of a rocking punk-folk-psychedelic CD! The band is MediaCrime. The CD
    is “Stapled to the Chicken”.</font><b>

<b><font color=blue>www.mediacrime.com</font><b>

2. Sounds cool!!, I played one of those wood ampegs and they played SO easily and sounded amazing.

3. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Dec 21, 2002
    Fort Myers
    <b>I have an amber burst with a quilted maple top. I had a brand new purple burst too but I sold it since I thought they sounded average so why keep two. And yes... they play great. I wish I had the purple one back now.</b>

<a href="URL">www.cdbaby.com/mediacrime</a>

4. DuDe !

This BOLD function

is sure cool 'eh ? :p

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Glad to hear, but I know I like the Plexiglass Dan Armstrongs better! :p