Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Upgrade That Worked !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Orlando, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Dec 21, 2002
    Fort Myers
    <b>I just wanted to share a good experience I had with upgrading a formerly “average
    sounding” bass. I bought an Ampeg AEB1 bass a while back. This is the wood version of
    the “see through” Dan Armstrong bass. The AEB1 was made in Japan for Ampeg and
    was only made for a few years with production ending around 2000 but they are still
    floating around. The bass is a shortscale (30”) with a passive Seymore Duncan Bass Lines
    pickup like that on the MusicMan basses. The bass sounded ok in stock form but I just
    put in a Seymore Duncan STC3M3 active tone circuit and WOW!!! I can’t decide which
    sounds better... the Ampeg bass or my Alembic Essence! You need to tweek the 2 trim
    pots on the circuit board to get the sound you want but this thing is really punchy with
    tons of highs. So I paid $400 for the bass, $120 for the STC3M3 and another $100 to get
    a pro to route out the control cavity to fit everything plus install a battery box in the back.
    $620 and it sounds killer! </b>

<b><font color=red>Check out <a href=”URL”>www.cdbaby.com/mediacrime</a>for a
    free preview of a rocking punk-folk-psychedelic CD! The band is MediaCrime. The CD
    is “Stapled to the Chicken”.</font><b>

<b><font color=blue>www.mediacrime.com</font><b>

2. Sounds cool!!, I played one of those wood ampegs and they played SO easily and sounded amazing.

3. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Dec 21, 2002
    Fort Myers
    <b>I have an amber burst with a quilted maple top. I had a brand new purple burst too but I sold it since I thought they sounded average so why keep two. And yes... they play great. I wish I had the purple one back now.</b>

<a href="URL">www.cdbaby.com/mediacrime</a>

4. DuDe !

This BOLD function

is sure cool 'eh ? :p

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Glad to hear, but I know I like the Plexiglass Dan Armstrongs better! :p