Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Upgrade

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nealm, Sep 29, 2005.

1. nealm

nealm

Aug 26, 2005
    Ok, here's the deal. I've been playing bass for a couple of years and I'm looking to buy a new bass. So I'd like any advice that you guys could give me on a bass in the $300-600 price range.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    type of music? 4, 5, 10 strings? What you've played you liked so far? Gonna need some more info to really help.

3. nealm

nealm

Aug 26, 2005
    I play mostly alternative rock and I think I'm going to stick with 4 strings for now. I haven't had a chance to play anything yet really but I was just wondering if you had some suggestions in that price range that would be good for last me a couple of years.

4. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    Nealm, in my opinion:
    Yamaha BB 614 (active)
    Yamaha BB 414 (passive)

I prefer the active.
    Try ;)

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Id check out the Ibanez BTB series as well.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I can't justify it right now, but I'd love to have an orange Yamaha BB414. I use one at the store whereI teach and I love it. Great neck, really nice passive tone, and pretty hot output for passive. Looks cool, too.

7. Also look at the Fender Geddy Lee signature Jazz bass. I believe they're within you price range.

8. I just picked up a nice Lakland Skyline off our own for sale section here. But what I wnated to mention was my old gig bass, the Peavey t40.

Man, its passive sound BLOWS AWAY Musicman, etc. Its bulletproof and around $250-ish on the 'Bay. Phenomenal tonal variations by using the tone controls, as they will sweep from full humbucking to single pole. Lots of sounds from a passive bass. INCREDIBLE GROWL!

I always plug the old T40s. They are simply an awesome axe.
    EG...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/PEAVEY-T40-ELEC...oryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or this bastardized one.....which I may pop on to replace my EL Cheapo fretless....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7354200138&fromMakeTrack=true

9. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    I have a beautiful Ibanez 4 string Soundgear bass
    P and J AFR pickups for great versatility
    spotless dark red (burgundy?) with great grain

I stopped playing it when I scored a 78 P bass
    I'd love to see it go to a great home
    pm me for details

Tom

10. nealm

nealm

Aug 26, 2005
    Thanks for the input guys. The Peavey T40 looks great. I'm pretty much broke right now but I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Tom, I don't think I'll be able to buy your soundgear seeing as I live overseas. Thanks though.