Bass upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FroggyOne2, Dec 27, 2005.

1. After having not played for seven years.. I have decided that I am going to get back to playing again.. I got a good xmas deal on a Rockbass 5 string for under 500.00. After playing it for a while.. I like the way it feels and plays.. balanced rather well for me...but the sound.. that is a different matter altogether.. it needs to be upgraded.. in past years the other 5 strings that I have had all had Bart active 9v systems in it.. I have read quite a bit on here and did some archive searching.. but can't seem to put it all together as to which way to go.. based on the woods that are used to make this bass.. and knowing that I want to go with a 18v system.. what direction would others suggest.. I have no experince with the Aguilar onboard systems or the EMG's..I have always heard (if I remember right) that EMG's have a sharper tone to them (that is the only way I know to descrbe it).. I play country and rock covers. Some guidence would be greatly appreciated here.. your wealth of knowledge is humblely welcomed..

2. Better asked in the "pickups" forum rather than Setup.
  3. Thank you someone for putting this in the right place for me..

4. You're gonna need to tell us what model the Rockbass is. If it's a Streamer Rockbass 5 then there's no possible option as far as new pickups go, unless you get Bartolini to make you a custom set.

If it's a Corvette Basic 5 then there's a few options. If I were you I'd go for a set of AJB-5's and an STC-3 (Seymour Duncan). Very nice stuff, not quite as bright as EMG's and definitely not as dark as Bartolini's. Nice compromise. There's a few forum users who love SD stuff in their real Warwicks, so I think it would be a nice match.
  5. G'day .. it is a corvette model rockbass.. I have a pair of those SD pups.. but they are for a fender 5 string and will not fit.. of course it someone wanted to trade.. well that might be a help.. preciate your suggestion..

It has been a long time since I have been flat like a lizzard!