Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass upgrades?Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Usul, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Hello fellow TB`ers!

Well,as you may(or may not)know I was the winner of the Ibanez EDC700 from Guitartrader.com.Luckily,I like how she feels and plays...and looks!:)

Since I did`nt pay one red cent for her I was just wondering;what could I do to make her a really sweet ax?By this I mean custom pickups,bridge,electronics,preamp,strings,etc.

Originally I had planned to purchase a new bass with my tax return $ but ,unfortunately,I need to use that money for hammering down some of my bills *sigh*.

Since I like the feel and look of this new Ibanez(soundwise I am not very expearienced)and it was free....just wondering what I could do to make a bass I already enjoy playing that much better? Any information/input/opinions would be of great value to me!

Thanks in advance!

Bill Hosford(Usul)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Me? I always start with strings. I don't know what it came with, but, in my experience, crappy strings often come on basses that aren't higher end, like the Ibanez.

As for mods in the guts of it, I don't know anything about that gay lucite, "luthite," so I'm not going to say anything about pups/onboard preamp.

If you look at some of Goth Barbie's posts, you'll get some great cosmetic tips for it.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If it was a Fender, I think you could say pretty confidently that there would lots of worthwhile upgrades in tersm of bridges, pickups, electronics etc. Because Fender stick to a basic shape consistently, it makes it easy for parts makers to build up stocks of this sort of thing.

But Ibanez change models and shapes very frequently, so it's not really worth setting up a production run of replacement parts. Also on a wood bass, you know you can work on it and say, increase the space for pickups. But I'm not sure how luthite would respond to being carved or sawed - would it "fray" or even split?

I think that there are just too many "unknowns" to give an opinion on this and the only possible advice would be to take the bass along to a luthier or qualified guitar tech and ask them what they could do.

4. I went over to the Ibanez site to get the lowdown on the EDC700. What I found pretty much makes me backup what Bruce and Rick have had to say. Your bass is an interesting piece of engineering in that all of it's components are made for and integrated in a very tight system. The usual suspects that are subject to customizing are either so advanced in their own right or are so different that you probably can't change them successfully. Your pre-amp is intended to, at least, mimic very high end designs with it's mid-sweep feature. The bridge is a high-mass design and looks like it fits into a body recess. All of the hardware is black. You've pretty much got it all here. My suggestion is play it, learn it, and enjoy it as it was designed.

So...It looks like cosmetics are about the only thing that could be changed. That contoured body is interesting and when I saw it, I had the idea that taking it to a pro pinstriper would be a nice addition. You know...the ones that do the killer designs on street rods. For some not-so-long green these artists can turn that design into a real stunning looker.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I am not to fond of Ibanez basses, but they are very well made, VERY easy to play w/the contoured body & slim neck & the pick-ups & E.Q. are very versitale!!!

Good luck & enjoy it!!!

6. Great points,all of you!

Guess I will just keep her "stock" maybe one day expeariment with differant strings.About the only worthwhile mod would be to throw on a hipshot detuner.Since there are several songs I would like to learn which are drop d tuning.

Thanks guys!

p.s.the pinstriping sounds kinda kewl! :)