Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoognishMang, May 18, 2002.

1. I know this has probably been discussed to death, but if you guys could be so ever nice and help me out with a link(to archive or elsewhere) or opinions on upgrades on an Essex P-bass and most important WHY? (please add if you feel that parts are not of good quality).
    I'm looking into getting the maple neck/fretboard, blue flame top.
    Parts most possible of changing out:
    Bridge-
    I'm not really interested in putting on a badass bridge, for me it sets too low to the body and lots of times i play near the bridge and feels uncomfortable (maybe p-bass bridge cover?).
    Controls/pick-up-
    I would like to keep the electronics passive. I'm wanting to keep the traditional P punch. I'm not sure on the pots, not too familiar with that. I'm sure changing out the output jack would help too.
    Pickguard is no biggie...

Not looking to change out all these parts, just wondering what ya'll have experienced in improving a bargain bass. I've read many reviews regarding this bass, all excellent.
    Thanks d00ds

2. A fairly decent bass for the price. I know you said you want it passive, but I kinda like the Raven Labs Pbass preamp, and over at the DudePit, Steve is selling them for around $100. I would'nt bother changing the bridge, but a pickup change could be a good move. If you want a Fat P sound, try a Seymour Duncan Antiquity, if you want a punchy, midrange sound, try a DiMarzio, if you want a snarling, punk or metal sound, try a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. As always, a top of the line set of strings, and a good setup job by a luthier will make your bass seem like it's a high end model (well almost).