1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass used by Ric Fierabracci in Yanni video?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    This is "The Rain Must Fall" from Yanni's "Live at the Acropolis" concert, in which Ric Fierabracci belts out a totally killer bass solo. I'm just wondering what bass it is he's using...looks like a P bass, but never seen one with that many knobs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i67OnKJSRuM

Also, on a quick side-note, I just wanted to say I think this is probably THE quintessential video for any beginning/learning bassists to see. I think it's amazing how he incorporates picking, slap, and tap all into one bass solo.

Anyways, identify that bass por favor! :)

2. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Yeah. I have enjoyed that DVD since it came out, and I saw it on PBS. I have no idea about the bass, though, unless it is a P with aftermarket preamp and pup's of some sort?

I almost lost my "Metalhead Card" when I purchased this disc with some of my old bandmates present...

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Weird thing is it looks fretted but sounds fretless in the intro segment (though not in the solo). I vote it's a regular Fender PJ bass with a fretless-emulating synth module stuffed under the pickguard, hence the knobs. Dunno.

4. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Straight from the man himself!

"Kwin, a carruthers 5 string and a fender p bass. I added a jazz pickup to the p bass, i also added a demeter three band onboard EQ. SWR 350 amp, swr 8x10 bass cabinet. All the sound was direct though, thru a countryman D.I. i hope this helps, cheers, ric"

Wow. He returns emails quickly!

5. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Wow! Thanks Thunkin! I didn't even think to email him, for some reason. Guess you beat me to it! :smug:

6. I sure do appreciate that bassist's talent and chops, but the music is just SO bad, and that solo has virtually NOTHING to do with the tune. It was almost like a bunch of business guys got together and said, 'OK, we need a slap bass solo to wow all the old white people in the audience, so where do we put it':D

I love the Yanni things on PBS. You just can't stop watching. Horrible (the music and schlock) and wonderful (the quality of his backing players) at the same time. I always love the Yanni intesity with the facial expressions and hand movements when he's playing a major triad on the piano!

Nice bass tone though:bag:

7. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I was wondering if I was the only bassist who would admit to owning the CD of that concert. The bassist is amazing. I use to listen to that disc (in the pre-ipod days) everytime I flew.

8. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Once again, thanks to Ken for saying something better than I could. :D

9. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    the more mature you become as a musician the less you will care about whether or not a performer or type of music is "cool" to listen to. When it comes to music it is amazing to me how closeminded some "musicians" can be.

10. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    It's a Fierabracci Ric made from Yanni Bubinga Wenge with rare Acropolis pickups.

11. I agree with you that 'cool or not' should have nothing to do with it. But man, this stuff is really terrible by almost any yardstick you want to use.

But hey, I'd take the gig! You can still be critical and a whore at the same time:D

Edit: Back to being serious, someone on TB posted a quote by Michael Brecker about this. This sort of commercial, smooth jazz type thing (for lack of a better term) can still be OK as long as the artist truly believes in what he is doing. Brecker used the distinction between David Sanborn (honest) versus Kenny G. (not particularly playing from the heart and up to his talent in his smooth jazz period). I guess that's what really creeps me out about the Yanni thing. Every bone in my body says he is literally laughing all the way to the bank. IMO!

12. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta

+1! :cool:

13. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    More like laughing while driving his Lamborgini to the bank:D

14. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Ditto. John Tesh is also is this same "class".

15. Agreed. I don't think it's close minded to say something isn't good. It's a judgement, I have that right. And I think Yanni plain sucks on wheels. But I'll borrow the DVD from some open minded sucker who paid for it just to watch more playing like that clip.

16. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    I have to say that I love the music on the acropolis album, and also most of Yanni's work. And ric is a quite nice guy, I have emailed him before. A shame he doesn't play this particular bass anymore, it sounds great.

17. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree wholeheartedly. I did like the violinist's solo, though.

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Kenny G. comparison reminded me of a big thread some months ago where I and a few others were lambasting KG, and his defenders were rallying around the cry of "if he sucks so bad then why do so many people pay to go to his concerts and buy his albums?" Then I got stuffed into the "elitist" pigeonhole when I tried to explain that mass appeal does not equal quality. Can't win on that one, since the majority rules, and the majority tends toward the lowest common denominator.

Judgments of the music aside, I'm still impressed most particularly by the range of tones he gets out of that bass. During the slap portions it sounds like what it looks like, an active fretted PJ bass. But during the other segments he gets some very different, almost fretless-sounding tones. I have to wonder if it's just his technique, which would be impressive, or if there were any external processors he stomped on and off for different passages.

Oh, and the violinist was worth sitting through the rest of the tune. :)

19. I'm actually wondering if there wasn't a bit of post-concert studio overdubbing going on. There's one spot in the 'fretless sounding' sections where his fingers are definitely not playing what I'm hearing (much beyond the typical YouTube 'delay').

20. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    KJung -

Thank you for that...