Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass used in the smooth criminal video

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2BitBassPlayer, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Does anyone know what type of bass the bassist froma alien aunt farm is using?

2. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Custom made Dave Parr Six Stringer

3. I know this thread has been done before. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the bass in the Smooth Criminal video is definitely a Ken Lawrence Brase.... The bass player from AAF does also have a custom Dave Parr 6 which you can see him playing in one of the issues of Bass Player (I forget which). One interesting thing about the custom 6 is that he's got some wood scooped out of the body at the base of the neck on the treble side so he can get his fingers under the strings for popping/pulling.

4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I am the only person who proberly thinks this, but that bass is sick. What a waste of wood.

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Definitely a Kenneth Lawrence Brase 6. I'd get one. :)

I love these!

[​IMG]

If I had the money, it would be mine! :)

6. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Check out Bassplayer Magazine's review of the Brase fiver from their "5 string shootout" in the January '97 issue.

Go to bassplayer.com and click on the "Gear" link.

- Frank

7. Go to farmclub.com and search for the "Movies" Video. In that he's playing his custom one. The Smooth criminal one is the Brase. That is one beefy lookin SOB....the bass that is...

8. Doesnt sick mean good now-a-day's?

anyways, i believe i was the other person who originaly asked this question, i asked it back in june after i saw them live.

9. flipperwhite

flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    usa
    yeahKL put that horn on the neck tokeep the tension tight while allowing extremely low action only in the 5 and 6 string models,I think it's ulgy/cool but I say form over function.....unless chicks are watching.:cool:

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  11. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Pure ugly!

To each his own, I suppose.

12. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    At least it has a handle so you can carry it without a case. :D Nice wood though.

13. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I agree that it is fairly ugly. That handle thing totally blows it. It is original though.

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Didn't KL get the idea from Fodera?

15. oh god that is ugly. I think bunnybasses should post this one up

16. The Dave Parr 6 is not the one he uses in that video. The bass with the "handle" is the one. Everyone is saying it's a 6. I thought it was a 7. Pretty nice though. But the body shape wouldn't look good on a 4. Only big basses. IMO.

17. Bass-A-Nova

Bass-A-Nova Guest

Nov 2, 2000
    Cleveland
    It's kind of like the Sarah Jessica Parker of basses...you can't really decide if it's hot looking or repulsive...:eek:

18. I do believe so. I read somewhere (either in BP or on the KL site) that Ken Lawrence actually ran that design by the Fodera guys to make sure that they wouldn't be angry at the similarities. I personally think that the Brase looks awesome for a 6+ stringer, but something doesn't strike me with the 5...