Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass used in WWF "GodFather Theme Song"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by liran, Sep 21, 2002.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Does anyone have any idea on what kind of bass was used in this song? And what kind of bass would be able to cop this sound

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Are you referring to the old theme back two or three years ago when there was still a character called "The Godfather" and the WWE was still called WWF?

I had that CD of WWF themes such as Austin's and HHH's, but I sold a bunch of seldom played CDs a few months ago. Let me dig around and see if I sold that one or if I still have it. Then if I do, I'll listen, but even then I may not be able to guess what bass was used. I'll give it a shot, though.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    There still is a Godfather, Boplicity! He was the Godfather for awhile, then he was the Goodfather for a bit (when he was running with Steven Richards), then he was the Godfather again (this time, he was sporting "ladies" instead of "ho's"), then he was gone for a bit and now he's back again as the Godfather, complete with ho's (FYI, the Godfather was known as Papa Shango back in the earlier days of the WWF)!

James A. Johnston composes the theme songs -- maybe a search on his name would bring up some info for ya, James Tippets.

4. Boplicity

I haven't watched WWE much since the WCW/WWF amalgam. I was pretty much of a mark for Sting and after his final match with Booker T, wrestling lost its charm for me.

Occassionally I look in for a few minutes to see how Chris Jericho is doing as he was another of my WCW faves. Has he juiced or what? He has put on so much muscle since his WCW tour. Kidman too. It's hard to believe they are the same guys.

So Godfather is back with his hos again? Even that isn't enough to raise the stock price, fill arena seats, increase PPV buyrates or raise Mon and Thurs ratings. But my 27 year old son still watches Raw and Smackdown faithfully...McMahon must be doing something right.:D

5. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Me too (I'm 27 and I watch both shows faithfully)! However, I think both shows have lost a lot of their edge and are not nearly as entertaining as they were 3 years ago, when I started watching again.

BTW, what the hell have they done to Kane? Dammit, his new look sucks the big one! I can go along with the new mask, but what does his new outfit have to do with his character? Why didn't he come back like a house of fire (no pun intended) and wreak havoc throughout the WWE? His main focus should be on the WWE Heavyweight Championship, not imitating the spinarooni!

6. Getting way off topic, but WHAT?!? I've not really watched wrestling in a while, but Kane was one of my favorite guys! Last time I saw him was when the NWO beat the crap out of him and X-Pac stole his mask. What is his new look? What did they do to Kane!?!

7. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, James!

:)

8. Boplicity

OK, to get back on topic...in my opinion the best wrestling themes CD is the one put out by the now defunct ECW. It had some pretty cool stuff on it, such as "Crack Your Body; Crack Your Neck" or whatever the exact title is.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That would be "Snap your Fingers, Snap your Neck" by Prong.

I used to be a huge wrestling nut. Ordered payperveiws, saw every single show, read dirt sheets, and in the whole "Backyard Wrestling" thing, I was the camera man and Announcer. Then, I just stopped. I didn't "grow out of it" or anything...just sorta lost interest I guess.

10. Boplicity