Bass used on early Eagle's recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bino, Dec 23, 2004.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I figure it's a Fender. Always thought Precision, but heard Witchy Woman last night and sounded very much like a Jazz. Then again, recordings of bass from that era all tend to sound similar. Anyone know for certain? Some great lines on their early stuff.
  2. I believe that the bassist before Timothy Schmidt used a Rick... His name escapes me though.

3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Randy Meisner was The Eagles' original bassist.
    I do recall seeing him play a Hagstrom bass...not sure what he recorded with.
  4. Who was the bassist that played that killer lick on One of These Nights ?
  5. Looks to be Randy Meisner.
  6. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Randy Meisner left the band Poco to join The Eagles. Tim Schmidt followed his footsteps in both bands.
  7. The Red Menace

The Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004
    I know he had a custom Rick that looked more like an Ibanez than a Rick. Don't know what era he played that. :confused:
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I hate the %*#i@ing eagles... :D But I dig the bass to a lot of their songs.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was once in a high school garage band that did a few Eagles' tunes...all pre-Hotel California, too.

Anyway, "One Of These Nights" is cool. A couple of album cuts we did were "Outlaw Man"(has a some very active bass...almost a solo) & "On The Border"(kinda funky). Fun to play & both were attention-getters from our groupies.

"Lyin' Eyes" was an absolute bore to play; "Tequila Sunrise" & "Best Of My Love" also.
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I saw Randy use a Ric, and a gold 60's percision.
  11. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    *LOL* I'm doing that one now in my cover band. I usually screw it up becuase I start daydreaming and forget what chords come next.
  12. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    That bouncy repetitive happy bass line that carries the song "The Long Run" was one of my favorites when I was first starting out. It made me sound like I almost knew what I was doing.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That was Timothy B. Schmidt. does have a nice R&B groove.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too.
    I hate those kinda 'daydream-worthy' tunes with their too many chord changes.
    I guess "Lyin' Eyes" would be a good tune for the bassist to sing.