Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass used on the White Album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Dec 3, 2001.

1. What bass(es) did Sir Paul use to record the White Album, and more specifically "Birthday"? The tone is godly!

I know that the BP interview with Geoff Emerick indicated that Paul always used a miked amp and a buttload of compression. I know that Sir Paul played his Rick and his Jazz Bass a lot at this time, but that other instruments were used on occasion.

2. i always thought Paul went straight into the board and added compression there...and i think those were the two basses used, even though there's mention of a fender VI somewhere...

3. Hey, I'm just going by what the engineer said, and I'm sure he'd remember better than the infamously gear-apathetic McCartney would.

4. http://www.beanpoleland.com/spent/index.php?page=week7/w7day2.php

This is a recording diary of a band called the Spent Poets that put out an album back in the early 90's (two of the members of the Spent Poets are closely tied to Primus, that's how I found out about them). Near the bottom of this entry is a discussion of Paul's White album tone. The whole diary is a really interesting read.. it's not entirely online yet though.

5. Ween's white album? It's a P-bass.

6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

7. ...don't like Ween?

8. Not in a Beatles discussion.
    Jim