Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass using guitar body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thrash_jazz, Apr 8, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi all once again,

Are there any distinct disadvantages to making a full-size (34") bass guitar using an electric guitar body? The only problems I can think of are:

1) a bit less resonance (because of less wood). Will this badly affect the tone?

2) it might be on the neck-heavy side. Does anyone have any ideas on how to counteract this (short of making it headless...)

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    The balance issue is the biggest problem. If you are standing up and playing the general rule of thumb is the upper horn should be around the 12th fret. And when you are sitting down where the waist on the body is plays the role of the balance.

Sure a guitar body can be used, but youv'e then thrown the bodies function out the window, it is all form.

"FORM follows FUNCTION"
    :D

3. Well, another potential problem is the body might not be long enough to put the bridge in the correct location--I haven't measured typical guitar bodies to be sure. Of course, a regular bass neck won't fit in the guitar neck pocket, so that would have to be routed out, and depending on the body shape, that might cut away a lot of the support around the sides of the neck. And obviously, if the guitar body is already routed for pickups, those will be the wrong shape and location.

Mike

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Awk! Perhaps I'll try a short-scale... thanks guys! :)