1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass V-AMP Pro - NO POWER ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Oct 24, 2013.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Today i lost all power to my Bass V-amp pro. It just would not power up. First check was the fuse, no problem.

Strange thing is, the button on front far right marked LINE IN (REAR ) lights up if enabled. It glows red. I dont use this button normally, so hadnt noticed it before.

There's no sign of life other than that button lighting up when pushed.

Do V-Amp pros normally have this problem - and is it fixable without spending a fortune ?

I love this pre and dont want to kick it to the kerb because its too expensive to fix

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Warranty? If not, you need an amp tech.

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    No warranty

Hell - looks like its option 2 :help:

4. Andy Sivyer

Andy Sivyer

Sep 11, 2013
    kent england
    Take off the top panel and change the internal battery it's a cr2032 also is anything else lit up appart from the red switch as this disables front input and uses pre dsp input on rear panel red switch go out after pressing ?

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Andy - haven't tried changing the CR battery, i thought that was just to hold the memory for any modified user presets, but I will try this.

Nothing else is lit up. The red light on the LINE IN REAR button is the only thing that lights up, ( if pushed in ) and goes out when pushed again.

6. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    OK - tried the CR battery and that hasn't cured it

7. Andy Sivyer

Andy Sivyer

Sep 11, 2013
    kent england
    Needs a Tec then they do all sorts of weird things when battery goes .
    There are 2 threads on the vamp great bit of kit in them will be the info to do a factory reset if you have a multi meter you could check the voltages coming off the power supply board at work at the mo so can't get to info on them also with top off check all the plugs between the boards are seated right unplug ang reconnect them

8. Andy Sivyer

Andy Sivyer

Sep 11, 2013
    kent england
    Or could be EEPROM as well

9. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Yeah i checked the mains leads with my Peavey power amp which works ok so its not that.

I'll search that thread as well.

I'll need to get someone else to check the voltages & Eeprom, unfortunately

10. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Cant do a factory reset as i have no power coming in to the unit

11. Andy Sivyer

Andy Sivyer

Sep 11, 2013
    kent england
    sounds like the power board the transformers can burn out sometimes then you loose one of the internal supply voltages.the power capacitors can also blow when get home will pop the lid of mine and check what voltages on which leads for you.

12. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks Andy - appreciated :cool:

13. Andy Sivyer

Andy Sivyer

Sep 11, 2013
    kent england
    there are 2 sets of leads from the transformer one has 2 yellows and a brown there should be 16.5v according to the sticker on the top of the transformer between each yellow and the brown and the other set are orange these go to the front board by the input these are 9v this is the supply to your bass and the input select switch so I think you have the 9v output this is why the switch lights up red the 16.5 sounds like the problem this lead has a blob of glue where it connects to the board holding the connector together may need to pick it off to get it apart.if you have these voltages then may be a board gone bass vamps can be picked up here in uk for around £50 second hand so prob about $70 in the states.i am sure someone on here or maybe in the vamp group on yahoo had a problem like this and it was the eeprom though but don't hold me to that.

14. Andy Sivyer

Andy Sivyer

Sep 11, 2013
    kent england
    Also forgot to mention the fuse carrier can be fitted either way up 1 way is for 110v the other is for 230/240v check its right way white arrow on the bit that comes out to the correct voltage arrow on the outside edge of its hole.sorry if this sounds stupid but have seen it done on stuff before and then blows the transformer or boards

15. How is your rig connected? If the Vamp is connected to an amp through the amp's effects loop and the bass is connected to the rig through the front of the amp, you need to engage the Line in (Rear) switch so the signal from the bass would go through the amp pre-amp circuit, out to the Vamp, and back to the amp power section - at least that's what I remember when I had my Vamp connected through a bass head.

16. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks andy - presumably there's only one eprom ?

Found the leads you mention, but the orange pair go to the CR2032 button battery on my Bass V amp.

Need to check voltages on the yellow/yellow/brown - taking it to a friend tonight for that

17. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK

Yes, i saw that - its the right way up.

18. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Hi Jaco - i use the standard front input, with REAR button disengaged. I use the dual analogue jack outs on the rear to my Peavey IPR amp, not the FX loops

19. When you say "standard front input" is the bass connected to the rig through the "front" of the Peavey or the "front" of the Vamp? I'm not familiar with the Peavey but it looks like the way the Vamp is connected, it is connected between the pre-amp and the power amp of the Peavey. Were you able to make this set-up work - as is - before?

20. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Bass guitar goes to INPUT on the front of the V-Amp, then out of the two analogue jack line outs to Peavey 2 channel power amp.

This is how i've been using it since day one, and not had any problems till now