1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass v-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danswon, Apr 27, 2006.

1. danswon

danswon

Apr 26, 2006
    sure this has been covered, but what are people's thoughts on the bass v-amp for live use?

the plan is to just use it, no amp, into the PA, and i'd hear it onstage just through my monitor.

i've not actually bought it yet, but i used a guitar v-amp pro for recording and was impressed, but never used it live...

2. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    I have the Pro version, and there were a few things that sent me directly to the PodXTLive (but I kept the Vamp).......
    1- There is a distinct and noticable 'hitch' when switching presets....... and it's a pain in the butt mid-song. Your signal disappears for a half a second.
    2- the Pro version lived in a rack.....at the back of the stage......behind me..... which was a pain when trying to TUNE and talk between songs.......
    3- the pedal board for it (FCB 1010) is HUGE, and it's a midi device. If you aren't up on programming midi devices to play with each other, you'll not be very happy if you go for the pedal board. It is NOT a "plug it in and go" situation.

I do enjoy a lot of the sounds....... if you're running it through a stage wedge, be careful with the "Deep" and "Ultrabass" settings, they could maybe mess up a stage monitor in a hurry. So could the factory Octaver settings!

3. 1stOfficerRiker

1stOfficerRiker Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I have one and the only way I'll use it is in an effect loop off my preamp. Great as an effect processor, but I wouldn't recommend it for strictly pre-amp, unless you're going to set it and forget it.

4. I have a V-Amp as well........I have not tried it in live performance situations either. I have used it in practice and found that you pretty much have to find a sound you like and leave it set like that. There is a lot of lag in switching settings so the footswitch pretty much becomes useless unless you just change between songs.