Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimclark68, Jan 8, 2001.

1. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I have a 74 P-Bass that I bought about 10 years ago. I've never thought much about it's value until now, and am just curious about what opinions are out there. A previous owner installed a J-Bass pickup at the bridge, and did not do a very good job of it. It's too close to the bridge, and the woodwork to get it in is terrible. I'm also not sure if it's wired correctly; when you turn up the volume of the J-pup, the overall volume of the bass diminishes slightly. Finally, he had removed the frets, so I bought a '77 maple fretboard neck and installed it. It has never had any work done to it, so I'm sure the frets, etc., need attention. I'm considering having a pro tear into it and overhaul it. However, I've always wanted a Jazz bass, so I'm considering the cost of overhauling what I have vs. just buying a MIM Jazz bass, especially if the value of the P-bass has been ruined by all the mods and such. Any thoughts out there?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Without the mods, the bass would be worth about $1000 today.
    The swapped neck affects the value less than the pickup mod. If the mod is as much of a hack as you say and the neck needs work, then maybe $650 or so.

The loss of volume is normal when you add the J pickup, some frequencies cancel out when both pickups are on.