Bass Veterans!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ejreyes, Nov 12, 2005.

1. ejreyes

Nov 12, 2005
    hey guys, im uber new at using teh bass,,this is my first instrument..what should i practice? what song? i can read tabs :D , i dunno where to start...
  2. duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Start off with Nirvana. Then play some songs off the American Idiot album. Also, learn the WHOLE song, not just the hook. You'll learn a lot more. Oh, Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorious. That's a good song if you're a beginner. :p
  3. ejreyes

Nov 12, 2005
    thx for the reply,, but i have a problem, if i hear the song , i cannot hear the bass.. and i think my bass is out of tone how i can fix it?? i dunno how
  4. duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    J/k about the portrait of tracy thing.

Ok, you have to train your ears. Most of the time, you don't hear the bass, you feel it. If you heard it better, we would be noticed a lot more, wouldn't we? But yeah, that's why we have really good ears. We listen. Anyway, try listening to the song while reading the tab. That can help in hearing it. And if you're listening to rock, the bass almost always mirrors the melody guitar. As for tuning your bass, go here. It should tell you how to tune it, just click the links on the left. Oh, and is a good website for beginners. Hope that helped! :p
  5. ejreyes

Nov 12, 2005
    ahaha thx thats a big help !! but i have a 5 string guitar , whats the most standard sound of the bass? standard low B? standard low C? which is which?
  6. ejreyes

Nov 12, 2005
  7. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    If you have a five string bass, low B is most likely your lowest string.
  8. Just get yourself a teacher and take some lessons. There's too much to explain over the internet. Some stuff can't be explained with typing, especially if your "uber new" at it. You're a beginner, you need lessons. Trust me. I stopped taking lessons a long time ago and I really regret it. You need to learn to read and theory and proper technique.
  9. Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    There's nothing wrong with 5 strings, but it would be a lot easier to start out with a 4 string bass. Try looking into "Bass guitars for dummies;" it's a great book filled with theories. Also, check out "Bass method" complete edition with book 1 to 3 bind together. It's filled with simple excercise you can learn; plus it'll get you started with reading music notations. You'll get a bigger picture than reading tabs.
  10. Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Listen to music with headphones on.
  11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings