1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shinyflavors7, Apr 1, 2013.

1. If you don't care about the back story just skip to the second paragraph.

Let me preface this by saying in a band setting I love a traditional set up, four or five strings holding down the bottom, and getting people on there feet.That being said I don't like solo bass music at all. I can hardly sit through a single song of a solo bass performance without getting board. (Maybe its my AAD?) Now we come to my problem. I love writing solo bass music. It's something I really have a passion for. So for years now I've been looking for the right bass to write solo bass music on. Once I tried six strings I knew that was the way to go, because I needed the range. Then I started writing more music with chords and I found that higher strings proved more useful than a low b, but plying chords was very challenging with that scale length. Which bring me to the topic of conversation...

I recently try a pawn shop bass VI at my local shop, and knew right away that, that was what I have been looking for for so long. An instrument with short scale, 6 strings, and a low E that was at least similar to a traditional bass. The trouble is now that I've found such a thing I don't where to start. The pawn shop VI was cool, but I've heard some negative things about the step up. I also know that schecter makes a bass VI, but I'm not sold on the quality of their instruments. MusicMan made the silhouette bass that seems perfect, but I can't find one, and if I could I'm not sure I could afford it.
    So I need help. Could someone point me in the right direction? I've looking for a Bass VI style instrument (30' scale, E-E) that I can afford, while still having the ability to give a virtuosic performance. 1K is really my cut off. I can't spend any more than that. ( I mean I will if I have to, but I'll get in some trouble with the miss' )

Please help, or point me in the direction of someone how can?

2. Will read. I'd still like to get any info I can pertaining the question but ill ask there as well.

3. Grizzey

Grizzey

Mar 29, 2009
    NIL
    FWIW, the Schecter Ultra VI is very nice quality. I've had mine for a year and had zero problems, except the crummy stock strings.

I recently tried the Pawn Shop VI, and found it lacking comapared to my Ultra VI. It may have been the strings, but I REALLY love my Schecter.

4. logans59

logans59

Jul 1, 2012
    Kennesaw, GA
    You could always build your own from Warmoth

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I had one of these and loved it. Semi-hollow, Rick-ish look, 30" scale. Can't go wrong at $370 IMO.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/harm1natashextended.html

They also make a Fender bass VI style one for a bit more scratch. But personally I feel like I'd prefer a hard-tail bridge anyway...
    http://www.rondomusic.com/argustoaskbk.html

Another thing that was important for me, being a flatwound string guy, is that the 3x3 headstock of the Harm VI allowed me to get a normal set of short scale bass flatwound strings and add two guitar flatwound strings for the B and high E. They wouldn't be long enough on the 6-in-line headstock and you'd have to get one of the very expensive Bass VI flat sets.

6. Grizzey

Grizzey

Mar 29, 2009
    NIL
    I only paid $20 or so for a ,95 VI set from bassstringsonline

7. If it helps at all tend to use a looper. So I like a p sounding neck pickup, and jazz sounding bridge pick. I also play fairly fast, and do a bit of tapping.

8. Do you have any experience with the hellcat VI. The only reason I ask is because I prefer the styling.

9. I'm not sure if this is what I was looking for, but I know I want one now. This thing I well cool, and so cheap.

10. Grizzey

Grizzey

Mar 29, 2009
    NIL
    I've only tried the older hellcat vi with the minihumbuckers. I did not really care for the sound, although it was comfortable. I hear the newer ones with the jag pups are great, and I'm lusting after the black and maple one.

11. So I'm seriously considering schecter at this point. Does anyone have any feedback as far as hellraiser vs. hellcat?

12. Grizzey

Grizzey

Mar 29, 2009
    NIL
    I use a looper in my setup as well.
    My bass VI board looks likes this:

pedalboardsapril12012002.

13. I was thinking that a rat would be perfect for a bass VI

I'm using a boomerang

14. jbrooks

jbrooks

Sep 7, 2007
    I immediately replaced the lower strings of Schecter HellCat (the previous model) with ultra light Dean Markey SR2000 and bought individual strings for the B and high E.

http://www.juststrings.com/dms-2688.html

http://www.juststrings.com/dms-0327.html

http://www.juststrings.com/dms-0335.html

I wanted bass strings on it and I'm real happy with this set up.

15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
  16. Grizzey

Grizzey

Mar 29, 2009
    NIL
    I immediately purchased three sets of labella stainless bass vi strings from juststrings. Couldn't be happier.

17. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Check out the Burns Barracuda.

18. Does anyone know where I can get a used Hellcat VI?