1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Viking's extended bass family

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Apr 3, 2009.

1. I figured it's time for updated pics of my basses. Due to space considerations (and a lack of guitar stands!) I've decided to break them up into 2 groups.

The 4 strings (left to right):

Warmoth 4 string PJ (active): This is my main 4 string: Black korina body (oil finish), wenge neck with ebony board, Seymour Duncan Basslines active pickups, Badass bridge. This thing sounds and plays great, love the smooth bare wood feel. The korina body sounds fantastic with any neck I put on it.

Warmoth 4 string Jazz (passive): Walnut body (oil finish), maple neck (poly finish) with ebony board, Fender Custom Shop 60s pickups, Gotoh 206 bridge. This one is quite heavy thanks to the walnut. I like to run it through the Sad preamp.

Warmoth 4 string PJ (active): Dinky P koa body, bubinga neck with ebony board, Seymour Duncan Basslines active pickups, Gotoh 201 bridge. This one previously had a fretless neck but it wasn't getting played much so I sold the neck and got a fretted one. I just put the bubinga neck on last night and it kills! The body came from the Warmoth Showcase for a nice price. The koa is beautiful. I'm holding onto this one since the price of koa bodies has gone way up.

I did the finish work myself. Can you tell I like ebony boards and gold hardware?

Carvin Icon 4 string: I ordered an Icon just after they were introduced. Alder body, 5 piece maple neck, ebony board, soapbar pickups. The playability is awesome, I can get the action low. The neck is thinner than the Warmoths so I have to adjust when I switch basses. It has a poly finish but the neck isn't sticky-feeling. People rag on Carvin electronics but there's nothing wrong with the sound of the Icon! Clean, focused, piano-like tone.

Since it's made up of Warmoth and Carvin products, the main characteristic of my 4 string collection is crappy resale value! That's OK though, resale value isn't important to me and I enjoy playing these babies.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

The 5 strings (left to right):

Ken Smith BSR5MW: Plays great and has that Smith tone. I ordered it sight unseen from Bass Central. I was considering an F bass but this one was on sale. It's the only Smith I've ever played. Great low B!

Sadowsky M5-24: Also from Bass Central. I went there last summer and actually tried this one. It won out over the other basses I demoed so I had it shipped home. Very good low B. This is the only Sadowsky I've ever played. It has one of the smoothest feeling necks I've ever experienced.

Dingwall Afterburner AB-1: Ordered from Bass Central. I wanted a Dingwall after playing a Prima and an Afterburner at BC so I got this one. Excellent B string. I prefer active electronics so I like to plug it into my Sadowsky outboard preamp.

Conklin Groove Tools GT5: I got this one in a trade. Very nice for its price range and with the right set of strings the low B is quite good. This one doesn't get as much playing time as the others as it's not in the same league.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. Great family you have there, Norseman!
    If you are like me, you sometimes have trouble making up your mind which one you would like to play.
    How hard was it to adjust to the fanned frets on your Dingwall?

FG

3. I don't really have a problem deciding. Some days a certain bass just feels better and I'll go with that. The walnut Warmoth and the Conklin rarely get played so I really have only 6 basses to worry about. :)

The fanned frets may look awkward but they aren't hard to adjust to, although there is a greater stretch when you get down to the first fret position on the B string.

4. Space Danish

Space Danish

Apr 17, 2009
    Buffalo
    Conklin and Carvin are 2 basses I'm considering over the next couple months. Can't find that many reviews; how do they compare for you? (Aside from the fact that you don't play the Conklin much.)

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Nice family. I love natural finishes, so these basses really appeal to me. Thanks forthe pics! :)

6. They're really 2 very different animals so it's difficult to compare. Are you considering a 4 string or a 5 string?

I'll say that the electronics on the Carvin are more versatile and quieter than the Conklin. The Conklin has a maple top on it but it's nowhere near as figured as the Icon.

7. Thanks, I prefer the natural wood look. My teenage son disagrees, he thinks basses should be painted. He'll come around someday. ;) He does like the look of the Sadowsky though.

8. That's quite a collection. Your Sadowsky, Smith, and Carvin are my favorites.

9. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I love your Ken Smith, Sadowsky, and Dingwall. Color me jealous!

10. Very evil collection. I like it!

11. Space Danish

Space Danish

Apr 17, 2009
    Buffalo
    I play 4 string...I was also considering Parker or Warwick, as Warwick is the nicest thing I've ever played.

12. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Nice Dingwall :)

13. Thanks, they all came from Bass Central.

14. I don't know much about Parkers but I like Warwicks. I think the average person would find the Icon's neck more playable than, say, a Warwick thumb neck which is fatter.

15. Space Danish

Space Danish

Apr 17, 2009
    Buffalo
    I was thinking Warwick Corvette...just something that suits my style that's not made in S.E. Asia (I realize the Conklin GTs are made in Korea but have read mostly good things about them), and not a Fender (I used to own a US Jazz Bass with Hipshot tremolo which I bought based on hearsay of Fender being great; had the trem installed in Detroit). I'm doing a med-study so I'll have maybe $12-1500 to throw at something sweet...most anything would be better than my Dumpstered Lyon (Media Play dumpster special!) except I'll say it suits me better than the Fender did, with the long (Lyon) neck and all...

16. Your Warmoth basses look just as snazzy as the the ones with the pedigrees. Love that natural wood.

17. Thanks, and they can easily hang with the more expensive ones as far as sound and playability.

18. Beautiful collection! I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to play your Sadowsky M5-24 on Thursday night during our annual Bass Night! It was certainly in a league of its own, in terms of sound, playability and fit & finish. The Carvin was surprisingly good, especially considering the price of these instruments.

I thought it was important however, to notify you that you are NOT getting your Dingwall back under any circumstances. :p :p :p

:bassist:

19. I guess I'll have to hold the Warwick for ransom then! :D

That's good news because I just put new strings on it and it sounds fantastic! :hyper:

20. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Loving the wenge necked jazz.