Bass virtuosos?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Are there any bass virtuoso's out there that don't have a strong jazz influence? Like a full on shredder. Kinda like these guys, only on bass....and hopefully more musical.

I like to solo when I'm alone, but all the bass soloists I've come across are too jazzy. The closest one I've come close to liking is john myung, but he still doesn't do it for me.

Something like Cliff Burton. I'm sure you've all heard anesthesia...

hope you guys can help me :bassist:
  2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    ooh, the second time i answer in one of your threads...

the obvious answer is probably "billy sheehan".
    have you seen "kyle honea" on the chopsfromhell-site?

if i remember correctly, gonzo @ markets his album as a shred-fest.

if you can obtain his works, adrian davison probably fits the bill, more info at

i guess that most metal guys can really shred, but often won't because it would quite fit with the music.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The only NAMM Show I ever attended(yeas ago) had many 'virtuousos', IMO, not influenced by Jazz. The problem? No one knows who these guys are.

I would put Entwistle in the category of Rock bassist 'virtuoso'...a shredder, IMO(again) is something different. Maybe someone like Sheehan or Randy Coven?
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was just thinking about that the other day. It seems in order to get any kind of respect in the bassist community, you must root yourself in Jazz. Kind of like guitarists with blues.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Look to Prog rock, Yes, Spiral Architect, Rush, Lord Only ;)
  6. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I have little respect for "shredders." Anyone can play fast, but if you spend all your energy learning to play faster and faster and no time on theory or creativity, it's all lost. Plus, playing that fast never sounds good. It's inappropriate in all music. I guess it's cool to show off, but that's about it. I'd rather spend my time learning useful things.
  7. Franciesco Ferrari(sp?) is probably the most terrible off all the shredders.
  8. Yeah I tried Sheehan, didn't care for it much. NV3345 or whatever is a cool song though.

And yeah Ive seen that guy, I'll def check out his site, thanks. I didn't know he had one.

It's an art form/acquired taste. I will be the first to admit that there are many virtuoso's out there that are so technique/theory-minded that they forget to include 'feeling' into their music.

I just like it because it's different. Not everyday you see a shredder onstage.
  9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I'm sure there are a great more than we think...

The problem is that they're all shredding in their bedrooms, as they lack the musical requirements to actually get out there and play with other people. ;)
  10. Lol, that, and there isn't really a market for them either.
  11. Who?

Oh and I tried that Gonzo guy...dunno..didn't really spark an interest.
  12. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    On the Chops from Hell site is some bassist named Scott Hubbell who has a pretty good version of Flight of the Bumblebee (though I wish he'd taken it down an octave).
  13. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    lars k norberg from spiral architect is a cool virtuoso and he doesnt do something tooooooo jazzy
  14. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Bill Dickens.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, shredders suck indeed. I mean, I can't shred, but who would want to?
  16. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    he IS a fanstastic player, but i wouldn't say he shreds. the whole band/music is very "choppy", but in the context of their songs i wouldn't call it "shredding".

especially since to me "shredding" always implies a dominance of flash over musicality.

scott hubbell has a site here.

while there may be lot of players who can and do shred, i doubt they known enough to find them. bass shredding has even less fans than guitar shredding... ;)
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    iM a vurchuoZo, i kn sL/-\p rlly fazt! :bassist:
  18. jbassbaines

Jan 17, 2004
    Without a doubt..... Scott Hubbell

He can do jazz and rock with the best of them on 4 string to 7-string.

19. I think shredding is hilarious. We in the world would you have to play that fast.

So I only bust out the shred for personal amusement.