Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass/Vocals

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by TheTestvb, Jul 3, 2001.

1. TheTestvb

TheTestvb

Jun 21, 2001
    I'm in a now forming rock band form philadelphia. I paly bass. Well theres 3 members of the band bass drums and guitar. It looks liek i'm gonig to have to do vocals also . I can write music which is helpfull that i'm writeing my own words and oinging them but does anyone have any tips on playing and singing at the same time?

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have to do back up and some shared leads. Actually, often the back up is harder.

Step 1, learn the bass line well enough to not have to pay attention.

Step 2, learn the vocals well enough to be confident and not need to concentrate.

Step 3, (maybe step 1) decide which is more important to you - bass or vocals - don't get to intricate on the bass if your primary responsibility is to sing.

By the way, my band is out of Philly too. I'll be looking forward to hearing you. Good luck.

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi!

I sometimes do backup vocals if my throat is up to it. I often find myself simplyfying the bassline when I'm singing. For some reason to much concentration goes into trying to sing in the right key :)

Basically do what ZuluFunk told you, and it´s often good to simplify the basslines while you´re singing.

Good luck with your new band!

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've been singing and playing bass for years, and what Zulu told you is right on. Myself, I've found that the wider the seperation in ranges between my vocal part and bass line, the easier it is for me to split my concentration. I always sing the highest harmony line and my lead vocals tend to favor higher ranges because of this. Low or middle harmonies are an absolute bitch for me because they clash with the bass line (in my head, anyway).

5. bumpcity

bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    NYC
    Also, there are a lot of older threads with some good advice on this, you might wanna try to do a search for 'em.

6. I sing around 65% of our bands material and for me it was a trial and error thing.
    Some songs are naturally easier to sing than others.
    What works for me is learning the bass part without singing it at all, then singing the part to get the timing in my mind, i.e words and fingering patterns.
    Then if there are week areas......working those parts until I'm comfortable.
    It just takes practice.

7. TheTestvb

TheTestvb

Jun 21, 2001
  8. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I guess I'm just repeating this, but simplify the basslines. Whenever Mark Hoppus sings a song, the bassline is not to difficult...actually, none of his basslines are to difficult, so that's a bad example. :D

9. geddy lee is a good example. and i believe thin lizzy's bassist was also the vocals.