Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbox, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Thunderbox

Apr 11, 2002
    Akron, OH
    How difficult do you find it to sing and play at the same time? Also, who, in your opinion, does both equally(or nearly so) well?
  2. I find playing and singing (Back up) a little difficult at times. For me it really depends on the song I'm playing. For instance, I can the chorus to "Lines in the Sand" by Dream Theater, fine with no problems, but I go to another DT song my band is covering, called "Peruvian Skies", and I can't sing it at all, becuse I end up screwing up either my bass line or the vocal line.......go figure! LOL

As to who can do both well?......
    Michael Anthony of Van Halen. Hugh Macdonald of Bon Jovi, Thomas Miller ex Symphony X.
  3. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I have trouble with it too sometimes, depending on what the bass is doing. I think the key to it is getting to the point where you can play the line without even thinking about it, and that makes singing less cumbersome. There are some things I probably could never sing and play well at the same time though. I also only do backups right now.

Who do I think does both equally well? Geddy Lee.

People might scoff at that and say no way. But, are they judging him on his voice? or on his ability to sing? I tend to think people who dis him for his singing can't warm up to his voice, but as far as his vocal talents go, he does a very good job. He also plays some pretty difficult lines at times while fronting the band, pretty talented guy IMO.
  4. How the hell did I forget Geddy?!
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    LOL, don't sweat it.

I'm just a hopeless Geddy fan and Rush freak. :D
  6. The guy from Spacehog sings pretty well over his lines. Just attempt singing over "In the Meantime" while you play it, and you'll see what I mean.
  7. I find singing and playing at the same time a bit difficult with a track at first (I only do backing vocals though), but with practice I find I can do it OK as long as I don't think about either - so it becomes sort of second nature.

I have noticed that anytime in a song that I suddenly think about bass of vocals - I mess them both up!!!!

The bassist/vocalists that spring to mind are Geddy Lee, Sting, Phil Lynott (OK so he's deceased), PAul McCartney

I'm wondering if Billy Sheehan will play bass live when he promotes his solo album??? If so, maybe Billy Sheehan
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Sheesh, I forgot about Paul too. He's definitely an admirable musician and singer.
  9. Chris Squire and John Entwistle often sing very complicated backing vocals while playing tricky basslines--and in Squire's case, while also pumping Taurus pedals for bass.

John Wetton of King Crimson and Asia is another guy who sang and played bass pretty solidly. And, of course, let's not forget the granddaddy of them all...Jack Bruce.
  10. Josh - I had a mental image of him but couldn't remember his name!!!! I'm not overly keen on his music and can't play slap worth squat - but I do admire him as a damned good bassist!
  11. JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Phil Lesh is another. Although not the greatest vosclist, he's getting better now that he's "fronting" Phil and Friends.
  12. JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    make that VOCALIST, not vosclist
  13. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    doesnt fiedly sing on his solo album??? :p

just kidding!!! :D
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And something else to consider too. On the songs he plays bass on, he is usually triggering things with Taurus pedals, and when he plays keyboard, he is playing bass on the pedals.

So he is almost always doing 3 things at once.
  15. Thunderbox

Apr 11, 2002
    Akron, OH
    Thanks for all your responses. This is the first thread I've ever posted, and I appreciate the feedback.

Some of you have mentioned Geddy doing three things at once and it reminded me of a song I did with a band about 8 years ago.

We had one original, and in it, I played keyboard with my right hand, tapped out a bassline with my left, and sang backups. Not for the whole song, just for the first verse. As I'm not in a category with Squire or Lee, it wasn't nearly as good as their stuff, but it was fun!
  16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    It all depends on the bassline I´m playing :)

I try to do some backup vocals in some of our songs, but I´ve found out that I sing much better when I´m not playing, because then I can focus all my attention on singing. Not that I´ve got a great voice, but there´s a definate improvement when I´m only singing. I sometimes mess up the bassline while singing, and then I start to try to correct my mistake, ending up messing my singing :rolleyes:
    I guess it takes a lot of practice for me to be able to do both successfully.

IMHO it´s more difficult to play bass and sing, then playing geetar and singing. Anyone feel the same?
  17. definetly. except for maybe someone who's singing over riffs that's got to be equally as difficult. like the old metallica stuff James was singing over, that's got to be rough. but, if someone is just strummin chords and singing? that's cakewalk hippy style easy :)
  18. O yeah, with the three things at once thing... my wife can play the organ, it's crazy seeing her read 3 lines of music at one time. I can hardly talk to her and watch TV at the same time.:confused:
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I sing backing vocals sometimes with the church praise band im in. It depends on the line Im playing at the time. If its a really cookin line then Im not singing, if its riding out the chorus, or something that i dont have to concentrate on much i do it.

When I was in top-40, rock, and country bands, Id sing backing on most tunes, and do lead on a couple.

Geddy Lee, gets my vote as one of the best at doing it.