Bass voicing to go with church organ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mottlefeeder, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Some of our church keyboard players select organ voicing for the last verse of some traditional hymms.

I'm using a Zoom BFX708, and I've tried chorus, loads of reverb, and now 'fretless' which works reasonably well.

What is everyone else using?
  2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I favor the rear pickup (Jazz) so I won't get lost in the mix.
  3. well, the organ at my church really buries my bass, but i've found lately the octave generator,(which generates a note an octave down) on my behringer bx1200 can cut through. of couse i can only hear the octave and not the unaffected sound. I just go lower than the organ!
    I had a bfx708, but I don't remember how good the octaver was. maybe even turning up the mids and highs may help, but the best method for me is just to play something different than the organist. i figure since the organist plays bass notes too (well at least mine does) i just harmonize a lot with the organ's foot pedals.
    good luck!
  4. JES

JES Supporting Member

If it's a real organ, you lose on the low end, so try cutting the lows. Seems to make a huge difference.

5. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    While Edith is over there spankin' on the Hammond, I'm grooving on my MTD Kingston 5. We don't don't step on each others toes. That's not a bass that can get lost in the mix. She's REALLY holding down the bottom while I'm cutting through.

p.s. what the other fellow said about soloing a jazz bridge pickup.
  6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    depending on how good the keyboard is, have the person over there just push back in the 16' stop (or virtual drawbar, or whatever) That'll give you some room =0)
  7. Thanks for all the replies. It seems to me that what they do not say is almost as important as what they do say!

In my church, the keyboard players who are competent enough to change voices mid-song, are also 'band-minded' enough to leave some space for me at the bottom end. For this I give thanks.

My question was more about what type of sound should I be using to complement a church organ sound, and the message that I am getting is that it doesn't matter, so long as it does not get lost in the mix.