Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Volume

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, May 31, 2001.

1. Full

52 vote(s)
    61.2%
  2. 3/4

15 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Half

8 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. 1/4

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What level do you set your volume knob on your bass at?
    I always thought you were supposed to keep it on full, and use volume pedal for dynamics, but now I'm not sure.

2. I usually turn the volume knob on the bass fully up and control the volume through the amp or mixer.
    jim

3. I voted for 1/2, it really depends on the bass but I don't like the tone of the pickups in my Thumb Bass on full. I find it sounds better if I keep the volume at about half and get volume from my hands and amp.

4. I like to have my pickups pretty quiet, and my amp up loud... say a 3 on the bass and a 4 on the treble.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I have the same opinion on the Thumb. I go about 3/4 up though. I am a proponenet of keeping the on board volume maxed to get the most of your tone. I just think the thumb's delicious growl can be unbearable to a point. Plus I play VERY aggressively.

The other advantage is that you can creep up your volume whan the putz ex-guitarist drowns you out of the mix.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I voted "FULL"...though I use my plucking hand for dynamics. ;)

7. I used to play with the volume knob on my basses down at about 1/4, and put it up on the amp, then moved to having it at about 1/2 on my basses, and still turning the amp up.
    Then, for The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes I was told to put the volume on my bass up to full, and get the levels set like that, which I disliked the idea of. Mostly because I kept getting drowned out by the guitar & piano, and I couldn't turn up with my bass just so I could hear myself through the monitor.
    But then when the musical director stopped coming to rehearsals, and put the (ugh) pianist in charge of the band, he drew a little thing with everyone's levels & eq settings that were on the PA down for her. Then I fiddled with the PA before rehearsal started one day, before anyone else got there. Then the pianist arrived, looked at the PA, and said "The PA settings have changed." And I said "Yeah, but it sounds much better this way."
    "Really? Ok then."
    The teachers who were watching rehearsal who were meant to be doing things like costume checks etc. couldn't help but comment on the music, and said "It sounded MUCH better than before. You could hear all the instruments MUCH clearer compared to yesterday!"
    I couldn't help but grin to myself. :D:D

After that, I just got lazy and leave the volume on my basses up at full, and turn my amp down compared to what it used to be at. :D

(I make a habit of giving relatively irrelevant background information, don't I? :p)

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My bass didn't come with a volume pedal :) so I just use the knob it came with.

I run it 1/2 to 3/4 up and make adjustments at the bass during the gig rather than running back to the amp.

The reason it's often suggested you run volume up all the way is that with PASSIVE electronics you do get the fullest tone with the volume maxed. With active electronics changing volume does not affect the tone, so it doesn't matter

9. OoOoOoOh...food for thought...
    Then maybe I should keep my Fender up at full, but bring my Ibanez down to about 1/2.
    Hmmm...
    then, when added together, would that make mine set at 3/4? :D:p

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

2/3rds on my stack if I'm not going through the mains. I use a lot of bass boost, gain and a Sansamp Driver, so 3/4 clips too easily.

1/2 if going through the mains.

Really, it's all over the place as it varies with the room.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    On my passive basses I do use the volume at full, but on the actives I leave it at 1/2 until the guitarist sets his super loud volume, then turn it to 3/4 so the drummer and I can hear bass again.

edit: I find 3/4 works best for active or super hot pickups.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Usually @ least 1 p/u on my jazz is full open. heres a few of my common setups:
    M:3 B:10, M:10, M:10 B:5, or both full on. Usually the both full on sound isn't quite what i'm goin for or like so i tend to favor one or the other. thats all

13. I guess I just don't get the question. Seems to me that there are a few variables that would need to be addressed......like-the axe, the rig, the music, the crowd, the room.

14. Yes Yes, I agree I love the sound of my Thumb, but this one time playing with friends I noticed the thing was sounding incredible, I notice as I went to see if I have another notch of volume left to beat down the guitar players that I had a ton of knob left. I keep it at 1/2 to 3/4 ever since. I also prefer to play very agressive.

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    depends...
    at home with practice: at half (i practice quietly)
    at practice in friends house: FULL (can´t beat the guitar sound if i let it down).
    at performance: 3/4 and full when needed

16. I like it on full, except for when i use my bass balls, because bass balls is much more useful with a weker signal.. .if the signal is too strong I find that the sensitivity knob has to be kept below the 9 oclock or else a lot of hissing occurs cause the envelope opens too soon

17. i voted full. i crank my bass and adjust volume to sound good with the band on my amp. with my bass the sound is way more crisp and clear when at full, and more dull and flat when under about 5/6.

18. I have no choice. its Full on the bas, 9 on the pre-amp and 8 on the master volume. As a band we discussed last night at rehearsal why we are the loudest at the venue. PPl can hear us rehearse down the street, we drown out all the other bands. We have to wear industrial ear plugs.

We put it down to our drummer being the hardest player in the band, and he conceded he needed to practice softer, but hey its all about being one with the music!

Merls

19. 3/4 for me!

I get a really bad, rough-on-the ears sound with the bass volume at full.

20. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    The volume is usually at maximum on my bass. If I need to adjust, I do it on my amp. To me, turning it full on my bass actually cuts out the little bit of buzzing (noise) I hear.