1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass vs. Guitar battle!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Happy Holidays!

I was jamming with the guitarist and drummer from my band this morning, and my guitarist brought up the idea of a bass vs. guitar battle. I did fine the first 50 bars or so, but then I eventually ran outta things to play...

Can anyone write me something to play in a bass vs. guitar battle? Or what do you usually play in a bass vs. guitar or bass vs. drums battle?

:bassist:

Anything is great, open-ahmmer-plucks, double thump/double plucks, whatever's groovy =) Thanks

2. does it not depend on what the guitarist plays ? How can someone write for you something that you are meant to be improvising ? I think you should stop being lazy and do the graft yourself :)

3. No it doesn't depend on what the guitarist is playing. If you write something in G, and guitar is in E, I'll just transcribe it =)

4. Mate, by all means have someone write a set routine for your "bass battling", but expect to get completely hammered very quickly. Much better to train your ear to work off his made up lines...it's meant to be "anything you can do I can do just as good, or better", not "hey check out this routine I just learned to beat you" ;)

Look up a song called "Duelling Banjo's"...that will give you a good idea of how improvised instrument battlers work off each other and still keep things flowing so as to be fun and entertain a crowd that may be listening, it is still meant to be music, not just a one on one technique fest.

5. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    ?

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    ahhhhhhhh.... bass wankery! that clip was great.

going to NAMM last year put that kind of playing into a new perspective for me. first, yeah - I wish I could do that and I have about an 8th of an ounce of sour grapes, but more importantly - those guys truly are a dime a dozen. just about every bass booth I stopped at at NAMM had some guy playing blizzards of notes, and I couldn't help but to think how much time they spent learning to do that. It seemed like practicing and learning some magic tricks that wow people, only problem is it fades in a matter of minutes. Like, "WOW" I can't believe he's doing that, and then "OK, I'm bored now, and he's showing off and not really saying anything anymore." Before long it usually becomes annoying.

I take some Jamerson stuff, stuff like Penny Lane - things that reach out, grab your heart and never let it go - over wankery any day.

As for the original post - I think you're gonna get your butt kicked here today.

7. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    yes, it does matter :p

8. If you aren't improvising in a battle, it's not a battle.

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Sounds like you lost the battle.

10. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Don't you mean transpose?

11. you need to hold the neck at the 1st-3rd fret then smash the bass like an axe onto his guitar... then we'll see who wins the battle....

12. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    True. True.

Basses weigh more, that's one way to win the battle...I suppose.

13. I'll try the smashing guitar technique... Our battle isn't like a jazzy improvising battle, but it's more like "A Show of Technique." I have the technique, I just need to figure out something to play... or I could just play all muted notes, but that wouldn't be fun after a while...

14. That guitarist was playing something, but the bassist was just throwing random notes.

15. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005

Hmm...I can't say that anything the guitarist played was all that much more musical....his tone just sucked less, and you could understand the notes a bit better.

Frankly, they're both a pair of wankers.

16. JoshRomance

JoshRomance

Dec 15, 2006
    I've found it more comfortable to hold at the 3rd and 11th, mainly because it has much more control, and the majority of the force goes into the butt of the body, causing a LOTTTTTT more damage... :D

17. Bass/guitar battle? Sure Sheehan VS Gilbert is the ultimate battle of ultimate wankery :p

18. learn to improvise

19. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Learn to hold a groove, then throw in technique, but always keep it interesting. Don't bore the guys in the audience with your sweet tricks if there's nothing holding it together.

20. thumbin

thumbin

Dec 20, 2006
    Oregon City, OR
    Ah... Just do some insane double thump scale... :p