Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass vs guitar in band

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fadlan bassman, Aug 11, 2002.

1. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    I play with 2 guitar players, both have half stacks with about 200 watts together. I have heard that bass is supposed to be 3x as powerfull to compete, Has any one else worked with this situation? I play with an Ampeg B2 (350watts @4ohms) and an Ampeg 810E classic.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    No. IMO It does not have to have 3x the wattage. There are so many other things that make differences in volume such as how the amp is rated, speaker area/efficiency and how you & the guitarists are EQ'd.

If you're not loud enough, however, you should plan on getting a MUCH more powerful amp, that 8x10 can take a lot of juice.

3. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Yea, I was just looking at the new B5 for 1299, but the accountant(wife) is not going to let that fly. More headroom is the key.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How about getting more wattage from a power amp.

Can you run the B2 as a pre?

Peace
    Nick

5. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    thats a good idea, the only problem would be the weight of it all. A power amp is a lot cheaper right?

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Why are the guitarists using 100w halfstacks? Do you play in football stadiums.

7. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    no we just like to have bleading eardrums. I may be wrong with my description : fender 4x12 and a marshall 4x12 those are half stacks right? (each guitarist has one )

8. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    I noticed a huge difference with my band when we just re-organised our cellar. It all depends on the size and shape of the room you're playing, where you stand, acoustics and what you play. I'd think that your rig is more than enough to take on the gits...

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I would call one 4x12 a half stack. When they are not looking burn them and say the insurance company would only replace them with 30w combos :)

10. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx

We practice in a nice facility called music labs here in austin. has a stage for the drums and a super nice PA. to be honest the whole sound was deafening (always wear hearing proctection).

11. We practice in a garage and my practice amp still beats the guitarists 65 and 125 watt amps.

12. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Musicians friend has the B5R for only 50 bucks more than the B2R on their site. However you'd need two 4 ohm cabs to get the 500 watts. I dont know of any 2 ohm cabinets.

13. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I was just recently in the market for a new amp because my current one wasn't enough to keep up with 2 guitarists. I really liked the B2R and B5R, but despite their wattage, they're not really that loud. I next tried a Hartke 3500 and it was considerably louder. The guitarists I work with do not use half stacks, but even their small combos are quite loud. So even though I prefered the sound of the Ampegs, I bought a used Hartke 5000. It cost less and was much louder. For lower volume gigs, I still have my polytone pro and now on louder gigs I have plenty of volume. As I said, I like the ampeg tone better, but as the volume gets up there, this tone consideration is lessened because it's too loud anyway.