Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass vs. motor vehicle-fixed!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, May 28, 2002.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    And it only took a week! Just kidding- actually it took about two months. Here are some before and after pics.

Before-

2. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  3. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  4. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  5. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    upper treble rib damage-

6. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  7. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  8. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  9. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  10. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
  11. That looks like really impressive work Jeff.

If you are so inclined, I for one would love to read details on the repair.

12. Is it out of the shop and in the hands of the owner?
    Truly amazing, great to know there are people with your level of talent still in the world.

I see you are getting the scans in better as well.

13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Mr. B shows up all the King's horses and men.

14. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    HEY JEFF....
    YOU NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT MOVING TO SWITZERLAND?
    ;)

NUNO ALEXANDRE

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Beautiful work Jeff. It looks like Mr. Dumpty is ready to do the "Humpty Dance" again.

16. Very Impressive....great Work Jeff !!!

17. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
  18. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    FANTASTIC! That must have cost an arm and a leg... Well worth it! :)

19. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Nice work! I was thinking about making a pilgrimage with my Juzek (crack in front and basically worn) but you might make it look so good I'd be afraid to take it anyplace again. ;)

20. Jeff Bollbach

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Thanks for the compliments, guys. That's the only reason I posted these pics. Ya know, it makes me laugh, years ago I fought my wife tooth and nail not to get a credit card, I fought not to get a computer, I railed against a cell phone, and I definately didn't want to get a scanner. Today, I love the fact that I can call some guy in Canada-give em' my card # and four days later a hundred pounds of flamed maple shows up at my door. The 'puter, -well even just TB has been worth getting that. My cell phone has actually saved my ass from dire consequences already. And now the scanner, not a week old, and I'm having fun shooting pictures all over the world. My wife, I think I'll keep 'er. [She never reads any of this of course]

Some stuff about this Wilfer job-I actually got the job from a cross reference of TB, my site, and a Boston luthier named Mark Carlsen who knew me. Mark referred the owner, Thomson Kneeland, to me. Thomson is a great guy and a great player and I was thrilled to be able to put him and his bass back together. It may sound corny, but when Thomson brought me the bass he also brought me one of his cds and I played it when I was doing any particularly difficult work on the bass. He is a beautiful composer and the sound of his bass just seemed to help when the work was over challenging.
    Some of you may have asked-how did I put that lower rib back together? Well, I didn't. I could have-but the math didn't work out. The rib had multiple fractures, missing and much splintered wood, and most importantly, the rib broke at the end block completely across it's width. If this bass were a historically important one I would have repaired it. The rib would never be tonally good again though. But since it is a 20 year old quasi-factory German, I opted[with Thomsons approval] to replace the rib. Easier said than done. I called every US supplier I knew and got nowhere. Now here's where it pays to have connections. Turns out Arnold Schnitzer was going over to Germany on a business trip. I gave him a piece of rib and he and Michael Krahmer of the Pollman factory were able to hand pick a matching rib. In my son's vernacular-Arnold's my dawg.

Uh oh, getting too tired to write-I'll post a few pics of the repair process soon.