1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass vs the future

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Zerozeddy, Apr 25, 2006.

1. I am a tad concerned that, with things like Hurricane Katrina, Middle East/ex-Soviet states conflicts, and general abuse of the earth's resources, I can't guarantee having the electricity to power my bass habit forever.

Acoustic basses aren't loud enough to play with people round the post-apocalyptic campfire. I'm thinking about throwing in the towel and buying a baritone sax or something.

(by the way that was my HUNDREDTH POST, hurrah!)

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Buy an upright.

3. Buy a practice amp, an exercise bike, and a dynamo. Hook it all together and you’ll be good to go – anywhere, any time.

Cheers

4. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    But, after the fall, won't he need a horse and wagon fer it? Awful hard work, totin' an upright from town to town on foot. He'll need his hands free to fight off the bloodthirsty canniballistic mutants, too. ;)

Myself, I'm gonna have an acoustic bass. I can carry it on my back, and if I get the right sort, I can kill bloodthirsty canniballistic mutants with it, just like El Mariachi!

Cherie :bag:

5. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Or Quick-Draw McGraw, I mean El Ka-Bong. lol... :p

6. Tell you what, sell me your baritone sax that's been mouldering in your loft for £100 and carry on believing the world has infinite supplies of oil and coal.

7. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if thats true then no one will have power to listen to music on so i doubt itll matter much anyway. This thread does worry me a bit though, do you know something i dont?

8. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Line up a row of the polished aluminium tubing the uranium comes in, get a femur (sounds better than a tibia) and go nuts.

9. Considering how much of the Earth's electricity consumption is used inefficiently, I think your worries are a bit exaggerated.

Oil will run out, gas will run out, coal will run out (a LONG time from now), and even the methane-containing hydrates at the bottom of the Arctic Ocean might run out in a few millennia, but the human race will have evolved a third eye by the time we come anywhere close to running out of fissile nuclear material--and we haven't even started to talk about the sun's radiation, the power of the tides, or the heat generated by plate tectonics.

Put down the bong, dude.

10. I think that our culture is so dependent and addicted to the low end that people will make provisions in order to get the wattage nessecary to supply that booty thumping bass....

or not.

11. You have more faith in the wisdom and benevolence of our rulers than I do, my friend.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I get lots of volume out of my Double Bass - see left - with no need for electricity!

Actually it's great to have this by the side of my desk and I can just pick it up and play - no need to plug anything in! :)

13. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Wow, that's a pretty nebulous fear... I'm not necessarily questioning your reasons for fearing that we'll run out of sources for electricity. But I think survival might me take priority if we do in fact run out of energy reserves in the forseeable future...

Have you read Jared Diamond's new book "Collapse"? I've only read a couple of chapters but I've read some of his other work, he's brilliant and discusses directly what societies' face when they are on the verge of ecological collapse... might be worth a look, it's still on my list.

14. Diamond's pretty smart, but Guns, Germs, and Steel needs to be taken with a small boulder of salt. I mean, the guy says in the first chapter, "This is NOT geographic determinism," and then proceeds to lay out what is probably the most geographically deterministic piece of history ever written.

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    EL KA-BONG!!! LOL!

Cherie :D

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh, I have no such illusions. I'm just laughing at the devil. Can't do much else, besides recycle, turn the lights off when I'm not using, don't run the A/C anymore than I have to, etc.

And I do want an acoustic bass. And a good supply of heirloom variety seeds. And a shotgun.

Cherie

17. "Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would like to take this moment to point out that the kazoo is human powered and much more portable than a double bass.

19. why not get a few solar cells for your bass amp?

20. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Tuba!

:bag: