Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass w/ Envelope Filter Built in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Unchain, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey guys, takea look at this!
    Cool Ken Smith, with an envelope filter built in? Might I be the first to say, "***, mate?"

2. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
  3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    LMAO! I just played that Smiths sister the other day! #25 fretted! Exactly the same as that fretless! VERY bizarre!...

The controls & built in FX are very useless & I still can't figure out "WHY"? Lots of twiddling but limited usable good sounds. Definetly innovative at the time though...

The bass was built by Vinny Fodera & Ken in Brooklyn around '80, definetly a collector. All maple n/t & heavy! Sounded pretty good though, reminded me of a Ric crossed with a P...

~S~

PS: If I get a chance, I'll take some pics. Also, I ran it through an Aggie 750 & EA NL2x10 cab if it matters...

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    We made about 60 of those Basses with that Circuit. 16 of them had only one Pickup. The rest were with two pickups. A couple got modded over the years like this one, #011 that was bought by Stanley Clarke after #010 was stolen while on tour. These were made in 1979 but completed with the Circuit in Jan. 1980. Here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/news/jonathanaward/bass_soloist_award.htm

The late Rory Bennett bought it when Stanley sold off most of his Basses from his divorce settlement. It was made as a one PU Bass but after we helped to recover #010 he asked to mod the second so he would have one of each type.

The owner of HAZ labs was the Engineer of the old Musitronics corp. from the 70s. I had met him b4 I was in business over the phone when I helped them mod the Mutron to work with my protype Bass that had a Low Pass Filter. When I started my designs, HAZ had bought the assets of Musitronics when they ceased operations. I had them include this feature in my first circuit design. HAZ now has the Mutron II re-introduced so all is back to 'square one'.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    @ Ken Smith,

Thanks for the history lesson! VERY cool! The #25 I played was definetly a great bass. Most "citizens" passing through a bass shop would write it off as an "outdated POS", but actually, I LOVED playing it for at least an hour! Would've taken it home except for the $$$. Extremely well built & still a piece you can gig with reliably. Glad to have had the pleasure...

cheers & Kudos,
    ~S~

PS: It had a "Ken Smith" bridge

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Stuff like this is what makes this forum REALLY kick ass. Thanks Ken!

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    +1