Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass w/humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sqeejo12000, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    I really want a bass with humbuckers to thicken up my sound a little more. I am upgrading all my gear aand wanted to add something with that strong low end. we play a lot of metal and some punk. Any suggestions?

Oh by the way i want to get a 4-string. TIA

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I love Musicman humbuckers, the same type used in Stingrays and Sterlings and so on. I have one in my Ibanez RD500F, and it sounds great! Thick, lots of lows without mud, and some growl. That depends of the brand\model of MM pickup you get though.

I haven't had too much experience with soapbars, just the EMG DC's. To me, they had very "subsonic" lows, though not much mids and growl.

I don't know how much money you want to spend, but the ESP LTD basses with soapbars are great for the money. Some of the new ibanezes aren't too bad either!

Good luck!
    -Erlend

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That topic is too wide to cover. Do it backwards.

Check out some basses you like and see if they have or can be outfitted with humbuckers.
    You might also find that humbuckers may not have a fatter sound in general.

4. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    How about the Musicman S.U.B.? Anyone play this one yet? I would love to get the Stingray but pocketbook may not stretch that far.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Got a Teal SUB with the active 2 band EQ. To me it sounds superb! Very similar to a 2 band EQ pre Ernie Ball Stingray a buddy of mine had! Had it about 1 year and it's a keeper - unless I suddenly find a fair bit of cash to by a real Ray (although I'm still not convinced it'd be that much better!) :bassist:

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Even the OLP's are nice IMO! Unfortunately everything is so darn' expensive over here, that a OLP is the only Stingray i could get. But it does sound great for the price!

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want a SUB, get one! They sound just like Stingrays, the major difference is the finish and the non-contoured body.

8. what you really want to try is an ibanez ATK . . . mm

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Sub is a very good sounding bass.

What is your price range?

10. G&L Tribute L-2000! VERY VERY THICK TONE. Very thick and growly (awesome for metal)

11. Sqeejo12000

Sqeejo12000 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Lubbock
    price range is around 600-750. I was thinking about a used bass but hate the uncertanty of getting the used instrument arena. Sound like the SUB may be the way to go. Anyone know where i can look at one of the G&L's.

(Thanks for all the quality input guys!)

12. If you buy new Id snag a SUB.

If you watch eBay close you could wind up with a used StingRay for 650-700.

13. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    how bout a Warwick dounle buck!!!

TASTY!!

14. Yamaha RBX 774. Nuff said...

15. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY

16. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Peavey T-40

awesome low end, endless growl :D

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It shouldn't; it's virtually the same. Same pickup, same electronics, same neck, heavier slab body, cheaper machine heads and that funky-but-indestructible industrial finish and dippy Formica pickguard.

S.U.B.s are great. I got a 4/passive new one on sale at GC for $319.99 and it's probably the best bass bargain I've ever made. Excellent fretboard build & detailing, gorgeous plating.

I had no idea about S.U.B.s, I just saw the price and thought it was low enough to buy the thing out of curiosity, especially when there were other identical S.U.B.s up on the wall for $700.

If you can handle the gruesome colors, they're killin' and punk-proof.

18. +1

Toughest sounding bass ever

19. And only 25 pounds!

20. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    This is just my opinion, but:

Not so much for metal, but definitely for punk, single coils are gonna walk all over humbuckers.