1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass w/sound comparable to Fender P-Special Walnut

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drcysto, Aug 26, 2020.

1. drcysto

drcysto

Aug 26, 2020
    Hi everybody,
    I've been having a really good time with my husband's 1986 Fender Precision Special (Walnut), and the sound is awesome. Problem - if I play longer, my neck/shoulder starts to hurt.. it must weigh close to 15 lbs.
    Can anyone recommend a lighter bass that would have a similar sound?
    Thank you for any input!
    p.s. sorry, we're not selling ;)

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what kind of neck profile is preferred? must it be a Fender?

3. drcysto

drcysto

Aug 26, 2020
    Fender neck would be best (D-shaped rather than C) -
    what were you thinking of?

4. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    drcysto likes this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A precision bass? Any other one will sound just like it.

6. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    the venerable LB11 P bass is my typical suggestion for a good, light, basic P with a nice medium neck, at a rock bottom bargain price, but sounds like you prefer a meatier profile. LB11 P bass - بحث Google

7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    P bass

8. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    I have the same bass , and nothing sounds like it , really. Also , the neck shape is based on the 1957 precision, there is nothing like that on the market right now.

also , there is a huge difference between passive and active (the bass is active , with a switch for passive). The active tone is very similar to a stingray , with the passive being basically unique

drcysto likes this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Ouch, they are lovely sounding basses and quite heavy. I finally got one of the 4 1/2" Levy's padded straps for mine. It helps a little.

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nothing to add to the above. Just wanted to say: welcome to TalkBass! :)

drcysto likes this.
  11. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    G&L LB100 with empress wood body. Great P bass tone at around 7lbs.

Plus LB100s are balanced better and more comfortable to access upper frets.

Kubicki Fan, justjake and drcysto like this.
  12. m-j

m-j

Feb 26, 2019
    I have a 1981 Fender Precision Special. Purchased in 2005. Electronics would do odd things at times. Had a gig where nasty hum was emitting from it. Punched it and it stopped. But I took that as a sign to get another Fender. The neck is different that the Fender P B Special, but I adapted well. And LOVE the weight, and most of all: AMAZING SELECTION OF BASS TONES!
    Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special - 3-Color Sunburst with Maple Fingerboard

13. drcysto

drcysto

Aug 26, 2020
    Thanks!! Not bad on the LB11- you are correct as far as the "meatier" - we call our PS "the beast" lol

Bass V likes this.
  14. drcysto

drcysto

Aug 26, 2020
    Thanks m-j -- I love it!! This one will get on to the next round!

15. drcysto

drcysto

Aug 26, 2020
    Gracias, el gran Luis - I kind of suspected that (nothing like it). And you are correct, as far as the 'boost' mode.
    I may have to lift some weights and just get used to it ;).. maybe have another lighter base 'on the side' for bad days.

16. drcysto

drcysto

Aug 26, 2020
    Thanks !- hubby got me a padded strap and it helped some.. of course it doesn't take away the weight ...

17. drcysto

drcysto

Aug 26, 2020
    Definitely would prefer a D rather than C shape.. what were you thinking of?

18. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    You must be wrong. They were made in 1982 only and I had one, the whole bass was made of walnut and it had an active/passive switch on the control plate. No walnut special Ps back in '86. I'm talking about the american made walnut bass specialls.

muggsy likes this.
  19. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    he’s talking about the same bass. I own one with a 1984 serial number.

20. Is it only a matter of the weight? Or is the reach perhaps too far? If it's both, then perhaps a 30" short scale would be more comfortable. They're all I play.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021