1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass wah or boss phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Let It Fall, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Bought a bass wah today and while I'm playing with it, I not sure if it was what I'm looking for. I don't like the range I get from it. Or how muddy it sounds when you first start the wah. Im playing with a mxr phaser and while I like it, it cuts the bass and is hard to time. I remember when I was a guitarist I had a boss ph3 that you could tap the tempo of the phase you wanted, I'm gonna to play one tomorrow, but me being new to effects does anyone have any suggestions? Should I try it? Does the Dunlop bass wah suck? Does the boss ph3 kill the bass?

2. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    my phase 90 doesn't cut the low end

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You've got 3 different questions here: About the bass wah. They are all different. Which Dunlop did you get? The newer white one or the older black one?

In regards to the Phase 90, it doesn't have much low end loss IME either. What do you mean it's hard to time?

PH3: Never played one...

4. PH 3 is a pretty good on bass. The Dunlop wah that I used to have wasn't that good, I use a Gig-FX SubWah.

5. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I have a phase 90, never used it on bass but on guitar it seems its sweet spot is about 9 o'clock, and higher is to fast.

6. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Sorry I'm excited as I opened a new world with pedals. I'm finding on my home system the mxr 90 doesn't cut lows. When I was first trying it at my dads It was. Anyways I was looking for a phase shifter that you could tap a tempo on like the ph3 instead of using a knob. However after playing with my Dunlop 105q I think I'm starting to get a better feel for it.

7. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

I had the Dunlop Cry Baby (white) and IMO, it did muddy it up a bit.

As far as I know, the MXR Phase 90 (block logo) doesn't cut lowa.

PH3: No experience on bass.

8. +1
    using it,loving it-no low loss....maybe you should check the internal pot...

9. try morley pba2 dual.i use it,and it's great with my music man,whereas with my fretless tends to go a bit into clipping

10. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    I had a look once and it had glue over it -.- I like how it sounds though :)

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I never get low end loss with my 105Q.

12. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Another +1 on the Dunlop 105Q. No low-end loss at all, love the switchless feature, the Q has a nice range and the throw/feel just feels right.

13. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I had a PH-3 for a very short period of time, it was that bad. if I remember correctly there was a volume drop and the phase effect itself was underwhelming. if you're going Boss see if you can find a PH-1r.

14. Rthm

Rthm

Dec 7, 2010
    If you dont like how it sounds all the way down (up? whatever, you know what i mean), I'd suggest looking up how to move the rocker a notch or two up, so it doesn't go all the way back.