Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Wah Pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ahhelpme, Dec 8, 2004.

1. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Im looking to get a bass wah pedal for christmas, but I just wanna know, is a bass wah pedal worth getting? And if so is a bass crybaby a good pedal to get? Because I want the Cliff Burton sort of wah mix with distortion, you know out of Call of the Ktulu, Anesthesia, For Whom The Bell Tolls etc. Any opinions or advice?

PS: MY price is range is jus under 300 Australian dollars. And if anyone could point me in the direction of a site in which I can hear bass wah pedal demos that would be just great!

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    i dont know whats good in the line of bass wah's but for under 300 oz your not gonna get somethingt good. spend that little extra. or build your own.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I bought a vintage Morley Power Wah Boost- this is the same pedal that Burton and Newstead used. The wah is excelant, and the pedal is built like a tank- big old chrome monstrosety. I bought mine for $100 on eBay in good condition.

There is definately a difference in sound beteween the Morley Wah sound and the Dunlop- the Morley is more responsive and sounds "cremier" (for lack of a better term).

Just remeber, these pedals haven't been made for 20 years if you decide to get one.

Ted

4. Charr

Charr

May 14, 2004
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    yeah, Go with the vintage Morley, you can get them off Ebay for a decent price, and they are solid and sound GREAT :bassist:

5. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    well the $800 vbass owns for wah

tried the dunlop bass wah, that was pathetic

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Is the Morley Power Wah Boost a guitar or bass pedal? Just curious.

Graeme :)

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    When they were made, there was no distiction, however in the manual for the Morley it specifically addresses why it works for bass too, due to the extended range of the sweep.

Ted

8. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks. :) Is that true of all Morley Wah pedals?

Graeme

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Most, if not all.

I use an old blue Morley Pro Series II Bass Wah, greatest bass wah ever built if you ask me, or Rex Brown.

10. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    i have the new morley bass wah and its not the greatest it can barley cut through my Big muff (even when the big muffs sustaine is set to low) and there isnt much sweep to it, i got a PWB off of ebay and the auction said it was in "full functional order" well if by that they mean DOESNT WORK god damn i was pissed at that, but anyway just try a few and get the one you like best

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which Morley? The Dual Bass Wah? I'm not too much a fan, I A/B'ed the two and decided to stick with the old school big blue machine.

Where are you running the Morley in your chain? Before the Big Muff? Most, if not all people who get that sensational Big Muff/Wah whiney growl run the Big Muff INTO the wah.

And sorry about the PWB, that just sucks. Have you contacted the seller?

12. Big_d

Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    i run the wah first in the chain straight into my bass then my big muff then my chorus into the amp, hmm maybe ill try the muff first thanks for the advice

yeah i sent it back to him for a refund, and i would order another one BUT the same day the pedal came i got laid off from my job lol so i dont have the money right now. but as soon as i get another job you can bet your ass ill be online right away ordering a working one of those babys. ive wanted one since i started playing

13. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Well at most of the shops they tell me the same thing, " We've never had that pedal in here before, hmmmm you'll have top pay extra to order in. By extra they mean ALOT MORE! This is in regards to morley. I really really want a morley! damnit, I better start going to work more frequently, I have to pay half of it!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can you order online? Music123.com and Musiciansfriend.com stock Morley I believe. Older models can be had on eBay for good prices.

15. ahhelpme

ahhelpme

Aug 26, 2004
    Yea but ive gotta wire the currency cos its amercian, and that costs 40 percent of the price, then Ive gotta pay postage and handling for the american shippers, then postae and handling for the australian shippers which works out to be about 50 to 70 dollars AU. Way too much hassle, plus ill have to wait ages before I get it.

16. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I tried one of those, the wah effect didn't sound too strong? Dunno, maybe it's just me. Distortion before it enhances the wah sound though. It doesn't seem too funky.

17. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah- the dual bass wah isn't too spiffy.

In my chain, I go Bass--->Wah (PWB)-->Dist (MXR M-80)-->Amp and the sound is sensational. I will try it the other way too :)

Also, my understanding is that if the light on the front of the old Morley Wahs don't is burned out, the Wah does not work. You can get these for about $3.00 each though.

Ted

18. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I have an old Morley wah... (not the power wah) and it sounded pretty weak for bass IMHO... I recently changed a couple of the caps in it to copy the wah of the morley "bass wah" ... sounds pretty good now... easy fix, and cost hmm I think 85 cents.. I don't really use it, but I bought it back in I think 92 or 93, and boredom sometimes makes me haul out the soldering iron.

19. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    I have the dunlop...not enough wah by itself to be really funky, bummer, put paired with nasty overdrive, its great.

20. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I was gonna get a Dunlop Crybaby 105Q (the white one), but this thread doesn't make them sound too good just by the way some other Dunlops have been mentioned. Could that wah be used for good funk wahing?