Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass wah pedals?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by bigbassjay, Jan 10, 2003.

1. bigbassjay

bigbassjay

Jan 9, 2003
    say all I am new to this board.
    My question is
    I just bought a snarling dog bass wah pedal (bawl buster)
    It seems to be a fairly good pedal but it looses all sorts of definition in the low end, now I relize that this could be beacause of my lack of wah pedal usage but it seems really washed out.
    Any advice or recomendations for a good bass wah
    thanks
    Jay

2. Hi there:

I'm sure Mr. Watt has some interesting stuff to say here...but, I have had some experience, so I thought I'd send a quick one.

I have a dunlop bass cry baby, it's pretty cool. You can check it out here:
    http://www.musicgearreview.com/reviews/crybaby-bass-wah.htm

Bass-wahs are weird though, they are basically variable tone potentiometers...in other words, they cut bass frequencies and enhance trebles.

I liked mine best when I was running split signal with two amps: one amp clean and one amp for wah-wah or other effects.

Let's see what Watt says.
    DP

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I haven't heard to many low end friendly wahs. I'm more of an autowah/envelope filter man myself.

4. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I have very little experience w/ bass wahs. I did use a digitech whammy pedal on a dos record once - it was a trip. boosted me up two octaves w/one swing of the pedal! wish I could add more to this topic, sorry.

I do know almost -all- effects screw w/the low end and punch of a bass so the idea about running a clean amp and an effected amp sounds like a good one.

on bass, watt

5. Hey there. I have been using Morley Pedals for years and I think their new bass wah (the blue pedal) is one of the best ones out there. It has 2 settings which are optimized for bass which gives you a little more variety. I am a longtime Morley endorser, and so am somewhat biased of course, but I think it is worth a try. I dig mine.

As far as screwing w/ the low end, they all do to a certain extent, as wah is essentially a moveable tone control. I agree with the guy who likes auto wah fx that as long as you can keep some dry bass in your sound it will keep your fundamental tone more "normal". Two amps is another way. Personally, if I am going to step on a wah I am looking to change the bottom end anyway so I go for it as an effect, not something I would use all the time.

Hope that helps, Dave Pomeroy

6. Being the proud user of a digitech whammy (it was a godsend in my last band), I am rather surprised and pleased to hear that you've also used one. I am presuming that the song in question is on justamente tres since the whammy didn't exist for either of the new alliance releases - i'll have to pull out my copy of justamente tres and see if i can find which track it's on...

7. watt

cj,

the song was "'till the blood ran" on "justamente tres." haven't really used it since! still have it though.

on bass, watt

8. watt

dave,

thanks much for the input - you make a great point. effects can be a very effective "color" for one's pallet to paint from. personally, I don't have that much experience w/them but that doesn't make them bad - it just means watt is kind of ignorant and needs to learn more!

on bass, watt

9. Mike,

That's what I thought! I should have known - must be the Alzheimers again. :D

Ceej

10. watt

cj,

I can very much relate to that!

on bass (I think), watt

11. Why the decision to re-record that song for the CD? I have a version of that song on a Radio Tokyo comp tape "till the blood runs". It seems like "Imagine That" and "Intense Song for Madonna" are newer versions from the Bob Lawton EP, too.

12. watt

jason,

we thought it would be good to have all three songs on an album that would be more available, that's why. we're working on a new dos album now.

on bass, watt