Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Wah question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CaptainHueso, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I'm curious as to if anybody has any experience with the Boss VWah. I understand it is a top of the line guitar wah pedal but is it possible to use it with bass and get good results? If not, can somebody give me a suggestion of some of the nicer sounding, more reliable wah pedals on the market? I'm looking into checking out some effects like chorus, distortion, octaving, and wah's. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My setup is currently as follows:

GBE 600
    SWR Megoliath 810
    Ibanez BTB 515e

2. Hey

I hope I can be of some help...I have been thru quite a few effects before finishing my setup, and I feel like I can share with you some of my findings.

Wah: I use Dunlop 105Q bass wah..it works well with my overdrives and can kick out some funk too...I also enjoy old Morley Power Wahs, w/ the built in fuzz...they have a huge range and sound great...Cliff Burton used those (check out the (Anasthesia) Pulling Teeth track)..a lot of people tell me they really like the V-Wah, but I've been happy enough with my Dunlops and Morleys that I never have atually tried the V-Wah

Chorus: Boss CEB-3 - its just plain good, using nylon flats on my fretless with a light amount of chorus I got a damn close to upright sound in the studio...u can also get thick lush chorus out of it for lead work etc.

Octave: I did the mxr bass octave and it was terrible, the Boss OC-2 and the EBS octabass work well for me...the Boss has more features on it, but the EBS is well worth the money with its fast tracking, and its simple controls...I picked the EBS

Distortion/Overdrive/Fuzz: This is probably my category of expertise. I use 2 different overdrive pedals in my lineup but have been through quite a few, some I enjoy very much, others not so much. HAO RustRide is probably one of the best choices. 3 settings of overdrive, 1 knob, and an output for clean sound to send to another amp as well. I use some other "boutique" overdrives typically, but my experience with mroe common pedals showed me that the Boss ODB-3 is trash, the Big Muff is good for thick fuzz, and older Ibanez Tube Screamers sound good and record very well. Try getting a tube compressor or preamp pedal and turing up the gain really high on that. I have gotten some great, natural overdrive doing that. Check out Jacques pedals as well, like the fuse blower - a really versatile distortion.

other effects I like are phasers, envelope filters, reverbs, and delays...so if u have any questions on those, I'd be happy to help u out, but I won't divulge ALL of my pedalboard just yet. ;)