Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Ok, im thinking of buying one. But of course the guitarist in my band is always 'whats the point of a bass wah?' etc. etc.

So i just need some help from you guys if you could:

-What Bass wah should I get? (assuming money is no issue)
    -What songs actually use a bass wah so i han learn how to use it effectively?
    -And in your experience, what songs that dont normally use bass wah sound good with it added?

2. well, the dunlop 105Q is pretty cool, my two wah-wielding heroes have it, (Tim C and flea). i'd say listen to songs like "higher ground" by RHCP or "Calm as a bomb" and even "War within a breath" (to a lesser extent i suppose) by RATM

those are all i can think of right now...

3. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Cliff Burton/Jason Newsted on "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    A lot of old Metallica tunes use it. Burton used a Vintage Morley Power Wah Boost.

I love mine :)

When wrting originals, I use mine by leaving the pedal in certain positions to accent various frequencies. Not to mention, it also doubles as a volume and boost pedal.

Ted

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I prefer the Old Blue Morley Pro Series II Bass Wah, an amazing pedal, can get some pretty good prices on eBay.

6. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I just dusted off my old crybaby bass wah last week since we decided to do part of Call of Ktulu for time filler during a set... I do need a new one, and I'm looking at the newer dunlop version. I had a morley and didn't like it. It was just too squeeky clean and transparent, and didn't have a wide enough filter for me.

Troll

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Seek and Destroy by Metallica really shows how it can be used in a non-solo setting. Great song too, and Cliff is a great bass player. Hope this helps. :)

Graeme

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Timmy C uses wah in a lot of Rage Against the Machine songs.

9. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Where exactly is there any wah in seek and destroy?

Troll :confused:

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i use a dunlop105q and its pretty decent, great for rock style music, with that more....hmmm how do i put it "robotic" sound, would the chrome dunlop power wah's sound more like the EBS IQ sort of pronounced smoother wah? or would the boss wah fit that description more?

11. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    In chorus.

12. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Never heard it, never read it anywhere but here, not mentioned in my old very well written and exact tab books... Not buyin it.

Troll

13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I use the dunlop Crybaby Bass model. It's nice, but I can easily say that in the 4+ years of owning it, I've never used it in a band situation. However, my solo stuff uses it quite a bit.

Plus, an awesome bass wah song is Coffee Shop by RHCP.

14. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I just listened to the song. Right after the first time he sings "seek and destroy" in that no-vocals empty space, u can hear some wah action in the background.

15. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia

What he said.

It's around 1:43. :)

16. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I hear it too. Hard to get that sound on my rig though. never get enough lows.

17. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

It's definitely there! Listen a little closer next time. Believe me, the wah is in there there. It's in the "riffing" that's going on everytime/after the words "searching, seek and destroy" ... * (enter wah bass riffage here:*) It's just not as distorted as Cliff's wah-work on other songs. :)

Rob

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Apparently the Automagic Earthquake bass wah is pretty good. I think JMX has one.

19. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Hmmph, don't have it handy to listen. But I've never played it with it, not going to start now. At least I try to get the right sound for the other distorted wah'd stuff... We recently did a half version of Ktulu the last gig that worked well. crybaby bass wah to the rescue! :)

Troll

20. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    I never noticed that wah in Seek and Destroy before. amazing placement.