Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Weight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    About what is the average weight of a Bass? I ask because the Brice HXB 6 string I am considering weighs 15 lbs. and that sounds like alot to me.

I'd be interested to hear from any HXB owners as well about the weight of the HXB and how it factors into the playability.

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I would think that 9lbs is close to average. I noticed in several polls that 9lbs seemed to the average weight of the basses most people play. In the various magazines I have read I noticed that a lot of basses fall into the 7-10 lb range. If you are going to play heavy basses get a Comfort Strapp or one of the Fender neoprene straps as they will help alleviate the strain of wearing a heavy bass.

Also check out this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77291 as it may provide you with more insight.

Dan

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    15 pounds is an awful lot. Dont use it unless you are either Arnold Schwarzenegger of Hulk Hogan... :eek: ;)

My Corvette 6 is heavy, even with a strap (though it is bearable, but euther way it isnt comfortable after long...) but it is only about 12 pounds - so the 15 pounds would be very heavy - causing backache and strain on the trapezeus in notime!

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I don't think it weighs 15 pounds.. well.. alone.. Maybe it's 15 pounds packaged or something.. Brice's don't exactly use the highest quality woods, so I wouldn't expect them to weigh THAT much.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think its 15, but Rondo kinda weighs their things weird, and often only tell you the shipping weight.

6. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    On the site it says "This bass ships as if it weighs 30 lbs. Actual weight is only 15 lbs."

I heard it's really heavy because it's solid Alder.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Alder isn't normally that heavy.

Dan

8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    There is no way that thing can weigh 15 lbs. My Alembic is the only bass I've ever played that came close to weighing that much but it is a six string with a bunch of ebony and a plank for a neck. Alder is usually considered a fairly light wood, my alder bass weighs around 10 lbs.

9. Vox Populi

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Looks like Kurt read this or the similar post in the megathread. The weight has been updated to 8.5 lbs.

That's a relief.