1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Weight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dustycraig, Mar 16, 2008.

1. dustycraig

dustycraig

Mar 16, 2008
    Does anyone know of some quality basses that don't weight too much? I'm playing a fender jazz right now and it is way to heavy for me...but i just love my tone...any thoughts?

thanks

2. Carbon fibre basses come to mind, but they're a little pricey.

3. Due to their smaller body sizes, Ibanez, Spectors and Pedulla basses tend to fall on the light side compared to most basses I've played.

4. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I had a 2000 Fender Jazz that weighed 8 lbs, and I've seen a few in the 8.5 lbs range. My Lakland Skyline JO is 8 lbs also.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I prefer light basses.

I recently cobbled together a DIY single coil style P bass that weighs only 6lbs 1 oz. I've never found a production Fender style instrument that light outside of some very light ones in the '50s and I can't afford them.

6. troy2003

troy2003

Aug 29, 2007
    MN
    Friend of mine let me sit in for a set--he has a Gibson SG style-light as a feather.I had a Jazz,with ash body--thing got reaaal heavy after a while.Now I have a Deluxe Precision that weighs considerably less than that Jazz.

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    How light are you looking to go here? This reminds me of cyclist "weight weenies"! Try to find a one piece carbon fiber bass with carbon fiber tuners and bridge! hah

8. Corts are light, even their non-luthite basses seem considerably lightweight.

I hope Schecter's aren't too heavy because I think I might want one..

9. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I'm sure I sound like a broken record but give a Danelectro Longhorn a try.
    It'll suprise you.
    It weighs about 5 pounds.

10. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Spectors and Older Steinbergers are my favorites for light weight basses.

11. Have You ever heard of Birdsong guitars they are an independant builder that have some bases weighing in the high 6 to 7lb range depending on the wood that you get. These are shortscale bases but have exceptional tone and have had great reviews I have one on order now.

Check out http://www.birdsongguitars.com

This is a Quote from the birdsong Q&A Page

"How much does a Birdsong bass weigh?
    And how does that compare to the boat anchor I currently play?
    Most Birdsong basses weigh in the 7 pound range... they can be in the high 6 pounds or up into the 8s depending on wood choice. And they balance well, so they feel even lighter since you're not holding up the neck or reaching uncomfortably. Averages are:
    Cortobass Mahogany: High 6s to mid 7s
    Cortobass heavier woods: High 7s to mid 8s
    Sadhana: Mid to high 7s"

The birdsong guitar company is a little different that the mainstream, but well worth checking out, read there FAQ and about us pages on there website. to find out more. Scott and Jamie are really great people to deal with and don't hesatate to email them or call them if you have any questions. They have there contact info on the website.

I hope you find this information of value.

Arcbassbear

12. Yep... I had a Jazz that just killed: tone, power, my back, neck and shoulders. Eventhough it was 9 lbs., the weight was in the neck and it dived something horrible too.
    I could have investigated the weight of the neck and body separately to determine if a lighter neck would balance it but... why not get a lighter body too... so where does it stop.

If I play a bass now, I have the saleman weight it on their shipping scale. If it is balanced, I can, from experience, handle a 9 lb (maximum wt.) bass for 4 hours standing. I ask for the weight because for a short time while testing it, I can play a heavy bass but can't differenciate between 9 and 10.5 lbs, for example. If I can't play it, ask a lot of questions about weight and balance. It is deceiving, you think a hollow body would be feather weight, but a lot of them are 8-9 lbs too.

13. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS
    One word "Sadowsky"

you may now close the thread :D (IMHO)

14. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    +1, unless its a Metro UV. The two I have picked up did not weigh less than anything else, in fact.. more.

15. Everyone knows light basses have no low end. Sounds like a lose-lose to me.

;)

:atoz:

16. TrickDog

TrickDog Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Riverside, CA
  17. No, Schecter's aren't too heavy at all, my 5-string is very comfortable and felt lighter than the comparative Ibanez. I love it.

18. Ok... what is the weight of your Jazz?

19. JHow

JHow needs to practice more...

Jan 10, 2007
    Jackson Mississippi
    I really like my Cirrus 4.
    Very comfortable and light.

And a heck of a lot cheaper than a birdsong or shadowsky.
    (redwood, ash, and maple might have something to do w/ it)

20. come on guys, a jazz bass too heavy. Hell, it's not a warwick thumb we're talking about but an alder or ash bass. Work out a little ffs