Bass Whammy's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chap, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Chap

May 27, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Are there any companies that still make bass whammy bars or tremolo bridges like Les Claypool has on his Carl Thompson basses?

I remember reading some kind of thread about this but can't recall where it was.
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Wamoth offers it as a routing option on their bodys also, I'm sure any decent luthier could do one, unless they had some professional opposition to them or just didn't want to bother with all the routing neccessary. And of course you could probably get a GREAT Vallenti bass on the lower end of the custom price range (a bit over $1k AFAIK) with one.
  3. Personally, i wouldnt waste my time+money. Ive looked into it before and wasnt to happy with the conclusion. It decreases your basses value also.
  4. Maybe if it's an F-bass, or a Conklin or something.

But if you have a beat up jazz, or something not worth a million dollars it would make the value go up.
  5. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Not neccessarily, not everyone wants to buy a bass with a whammy.

6. I kinda dig it...i dunno if i would ever buy one...but still cool nonetheless.
  7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I think Carvin makes basses with whammies.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I love them; I think they're fun. Kahler used to make a great one before they got into the golf club business, and Steinberger made some really cool transposing ones back in the day.

Hipshot and Vibrotek are making some pretty hip ones these days.

And the shop that I work at just took in a used Rickenbacker with a Kahler trem installed... :ninja:
  9. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    ya theres someone here at TB who has 2 steinies with the transtrem. i PM him awhile ago and he said they were pretty cool. i have never played the hipshots but the kahlers were really cool! harmonics were the funnest to bomb on...
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I wonder who that could be.... :ninja:
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I had a Kahler bass whammy installed on one of my basses years ago. Totally ruined the bass. It was hard to keep the thing in tune, and the way it was designed it kept breaking strings when "dive bomb" effect was used, since bass strings are just too right for these things to work without weakening the string.

It required permanent routing for installation, and that prohibited me from taking it off later and re-installing a normal bridge. I had to sell the bass to get rid of it, since the routing during installation made it useless with any other bridge. If you decide to try one, try it out on a beater bass, not a prized possession.
  12. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I happen to use to have a 1990 Jetglo rickenbacker with Kahler trem that I was selling on here. I wonder if thats the one your talking about.
  13. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Kahler is back in production.
  14. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I bought the same thing and had the same problem. I remember seeing and advert in a guitar magazine with an endorsement from Ben Orr in "The Cars". (This was '85 or so, when they were at their peak.)

Even if it would have stayed in tune, I found its uses to be minimal. With practice I was able to do what I wanted to by practicing my string bending.

I left tremelo "dive bombing" to guitarists !