Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass wheel rotating in endpin shaft

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by appler, Mar 19, 2006.

1. appler

appler Guest

Hey, guys. I have a problem. I own one of (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's inexpensive bass wheels (not the Gaines) and since I've had it, I've never been able to successfully use it. When the wheel is in the shaft and the retaining screw is tightened as much as possible, the pin still rotates. I'm sure that I have the right diameter pin. One of the sides of the pin is milled to form a flat, and I assume that when the screw is tightened, it shouldn't move. Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Thanks!

2. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    I have the same problem from time to time, it's like the bass has a mind of it's own and starts going in another direction. Try keeping some plyers with you and tighten it really tight when you have to roll the bass any distance.

3. appler

appler Guest

I have tightened it as much as I can, both the nut on the wheel and the endpin screw. Is there a wheel that "locks" in better?

4. GirlBass

GirlBass

Jul 31, 2005
    New York
    You might need to get a different endpin set up than your current one. I did this and I haven't had a problem since.
    It used to happen to me all the time and it drove me NUTS! good luck!

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Wrong thing to do. This is analogous to the 'universal fitting tool' and will just make it easier to trash the endpin.

When you are tightening the set screw on the flat spot on the wheel's pin, rotate the wheel assembly back and forth as you tighten and make sure that you have the screw tightened on the lowest spot in the pin. This technique also works well for any end pin that has the screw setting in a race around the pin (as opposed to the sort that has dimples in the pin) as well.

6. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    One thing you could do is just get the Bass Buggie from KC Strings. http://www.kcstrings.com/bass-buggie.html It has 2 wheels and doesn't attach through the endpin, so you elminate the problem of the wheel turning.

7. You don't happen to work for KC Strings, do you? You seem to be pulling up a number of old threads and promoting KC's products.

8. Slapfiddle

Slapfiddle Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2004
    New York City
    I too have a K.C. Strings Bass Buggie. These things are the coolest. It takes me 5 seconds to install it. NO longer have to remove the endpin and the bass stands up freely when not moving.

9. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    Paul, you obviously haven't tried this thing.

10. Does it matter? I haven't needed to move my bass more than 20 yards since September.

11. BenWC87

BenWC87

Jun 10, 2004
    I congratulate you on that. I'm saying you'd like it a lot if you did try it.

12. For $110, I'll pass.

13. Thanks so much for this, it looked so interesting I had to buy one and the guy called me back like 30 minutes after buying it saying that I'm chosen to be quoted on the website after I get it! I might even be stated as in "S.M. CT" or something to that measure. I'm excited. AND only 3 weeks till my new Upton professor bass comes in. How exciting

14. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    It doesn't look like this buggy has much padding where the chassis meets the bass..My skeptic sense is heightened.

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I would think you could put a stiff 1" sheet of foam over it if you wanted to take extra special care of it. Would dampen the ride on the bass. Gives me an idea tho.

Although You could probably make one of those without too much trouble using the same design or even improve upon it. Heh heh heh.

I think it's time to visit the model airplane store. :)

16. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hmmmmmm..

17. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Here Kam, I'll give you some food for thought. The one thing that that thing is lacking is shock absorbtion. Sure it's not on the endpin anymore, but whats wrong with a more cushiony ride for the bass?

So what can you use? Model airplane shocks? in-line skate wheels? An Onyx/Gaines wheel is nothing but a large model airplane or wheelchair wheel. Those bass wheels are ridiculously expensive. $130 is waaaay too much. I like the basic Williams design, it's simple and looks effective but I ain't paying $100+ for it.

I've drawn up a prototype for myself that will raise the bass off the ground further (less chance to bump into something) and with a shock absorber designed into it. What a better shock absorber for this than a leaf spring?

I'm going to try to put this together without having a garage to work in. Have Dremel will travel. :) For materials, probably plexiglass, some sheet metal, strap cloth, plastic snap-together clips from REI, some small diameter climbers rope maybe, some epoxy, and several nuts and bolts to keep everything together. Plexiglass is great for DIY as you can heat it in the oven and shape it. Be careful of those toxic fumes tho! Anyways, I'm gonna bet I can put something together for around $50.

Got ya thinking yet? :D

18. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    In brainstorming on the net, if you didn't care about shock absorbers, just use a skateboard trucks (like this ) w/ wheels and some kind of plate (plexiglass, wood, etc) with a rope. Mount the the truck on the plate, drill a couple holes for some rope/webbing. Tie the rope using a figure-8 knot to go around the endpin. Take the two other ends, make sure they're long, and tie them around the neck in some fashion. Bada-bing-bada boom. Probably wouldn't take more than 1hour to put it together with a drill and some bolts/nuts.

EDIT: Oh boy I should've sold my Onyx wheel before I posted that! XO

19. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    You know, I actually made a semi-decent bass buggy about this time last year using one of those collapsible golf carts. It had a nice wide wheelbase but it was definitely missing some features involved here. The figure eight knot is a great idea, and avoids jerry-rigging some type of strap. Oh man, once I get done with the musical I'm playing, it's off to the races with this idea. Hopefully I'll be able to get some practicing in while I'm at it..:eek:

20. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I'd rather have a wheel attached to the solid tailblock than a "buggy" resting on the fragile edges of the bass. As long as the wheel is soft, there is little risk of damage. It's no worse than playing the bass while is rests on the endpin.