Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Wheel

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Limezone, Jan 10, 2002.

1. I love my bass... (purely platonic)
    but I hate carrying it everywhere.

Do any of you guys use a bass wheel? And where could I get one?

I know it's just a matter of measuring my shaft (for diameter). Alright, alright, I here you guys snickering out there...

2. No snickering here.
    Not all wheels are the same. Many of those sources are reselling a wheel made by Gaines. It's excellent, the best of three I've had.

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Second that. It seems expensive, but years from now you will be glad you didnt chintz out.

Cheap shoes have a hidden cost.

4. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    You've heard the expression, "best invention since the wheel"?

Well this IS the wheel.

Although I will leave it at home if I don't absolutely need it as it is heavy. Perhaps I should fill it with helium...

-dh

5. I did have an inflatable wheel, made by BMR, but over time, it, and the company, crapped out.

6. That's not a Gaines. I'd keep looking. Try direct:
    Gaines Wheel 608-924-1316
    5111 Mounds Park Rd
    Blue Mounds, WI 53517

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I bought the endpin shown on the same page, and I love it. They make a wheel that screws onto the end of the pin shaft, so that the pin itself stays put and it takes about 15 seconds to switch from the wheel to the playing tip. Since I'm on the tall side and still relatively healthy, I just carry my bass with the shoulder strap on the case...but I've got two knees that are gonna blow sometime in the next 5-10 years, and when they do, the first thing I'm gonna do when I get back from the surgeon is order the wheel tip for that endpin. The whole assembly is the sturdiest and handiest I've ever seen.

8. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just double-checked and mine is a Gaines and it does have a little do-jiggy to put air in the tire. I'm ashamed to admit that I've been rolling mine with a flat since I got it. Perhaps I'll take care of that tonight... gotta put air in my bike tires too.

-dh