Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Wheels?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by shalimar, Feb 9, 2005.

1. shalimar

shalimar

Jan 7, 2005
    Can anyone recommend their preferences? I notice that there are several on the market. Some are fairly expensive, others less so. In regards to quality I'm told that you get what you pay for, but even so I'm thinking - "Yeah, but it's just a wheel".

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've been looking at the market myself, and as far as I can tell there are two basic types: Solid Rubber and Pneumatic. Obviously, the latter is going to cushion much better than solid rubber, but there are some models I've seen that are somewhat hollowed, but not truly pneumatic.

3. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Just got the Gaines Wheel. It's Pnuematic. It's not too cheap. But it's by far the best of any that I've tried. Just my three cents.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I believe Bob's comments were about the same. The Gaines is the one he sells isn't it?

5. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Yes The airless rubber tire from Lemur has saved my tail(piece) in many a situation. No worry about a spare and the tire gets more cushy after more use. Min is over 6 years old and still going strong. Thats my two crowns worth.
    G

6. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Let me throw in an amen to this post. Lemur's (Onyx, I think) cushy non-pneumatic wheel is cheap and works great. I do a jazz festival in AL yearly and ALL the bassists that come there use it. There are some similar wheels out there that are stiffer or that use air that are the same size. Lemur sells the 6" cushy wheel by itself and will fit the others' little frame.

Ike

7. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    for what it's worth..

my experience is that it's actually easier to manuever the bass when it's on a small, folding hand truck rather than a wheel

8. I use the Gaines wheel, and I had the Onyx from Lemur. No comparison. None. In my experience, Gaines is clearly superior.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If you live where you drive all of the time and maybe put a hundred yards a year on a wheel, then almost anyting will do. I wear out about a tire a year on my Gaines and probably put and average of a couple of miles a day. The Onyx that I had when I moved to NYC lasted about a month. I've had my current Gaines for about 5 1/2 years now.

FWIW

10. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    An old friend of mine once told me- don't buy cheap shoes. That concept has served me well over the years. If your gonna get a wheel get the Gaines. As hard as it is for me to say anything positive about Kolstein the stroller he has is very good and worth considering. One clear advantage it has is when you get on asubway you don't have to worry about taking it off where you kind of have to with a wheel.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I don't have to take off the wheel. I run it pretty low on air, which serves both to absorb shock and allows you to pretty easily stand the bass vertically without it wanting to scoot -- unless you get it too far off-axis.

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Gaines, no contest.

From what I remember, there is a lifetime waranty on it (correct me if I'm wrong). Mr. Gaines can even send you a replacement while he's fixing yours. Hey, If I can get the best product of it's category for about $125 only - then I do it! It's not like buying a Bass!

13. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I've been using mine for almost 30 years now (with one overhaul Barry charged me $15 bucks for a few years ago) and for me it's the only way to go. It's been used on a daily basis for much of this time all over the streets of Chicago and it just works great.

Highly recommended.

Eric Hochberg

14. I agree. I use a very inexpensive and lightweight folding luggage cart. I padded the metal frame with foam pipe insulation in the spots where the bass rests and it works well enough. The wheels are far enough apart that it feels very stable and when you come to a stop and tip it forward enough for the bass to rest on the endpin, everything will stand up well balanced. The bass is held on with a not so tight bungy cord that came on the the cart. I don't think the one I have will take much abuse but I don't use it often so it hasn't worn out yet. I'd like the bass wheels better if they had brakes.

15. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I got one on E-bay last month, and it is so much better than a wheel. Especially if you are short (5'7") with a BIG bass.