Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Wheels

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by mahler, Jan 20, 2000.

1. mahler

mahler

Jan 19, 2000
    What are some good bass wheels? I'm looking for something rather inexpensive... Has anyone made a wheel themselves?

2. My BMR Bass Wheel is distributed by Imagination Services Group, 1830 East Broadway, Tucson, AZ 85719. A few years ago it cost $75 plus shipping. The other wheels I've seen (David Gage sells one) were more expensive and not any better. Mine is pneumatic, comes with a pump. You can make the tire firm or squishy. unlimited 90 day warrantee. They also have adapter sleeves if you have basses with different diameter pins. Theoretically, you could make your own, but I don't believe it would be anywhere as good, and I don't think you could do it for that much less. There are more factors involved than you think. The BMR Wheel is advertised in the International Musician.

[This message has been edited by Don Higdon (edited January 22, 2000).]

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Check Lemur Music. (www.lemur-music.com)
    They sell the Onyx wheel.
    Lemur now has an on-line catalog.

------------------
    François Blais
    blaisf@clic.net

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    As a followup to my previous message, here's an excerpt from Lemur's on-line catalog:

We are now carrying the Onyx Musical Products Bass End Pin Wheel. This simple, light-weight design is fabricated from all stainless steel and polished to a beautiful, long-lasting shine. The 6" wheel is made from resiliant foam rubber with a tough outer skin designed to cushion the ride of your bass - and it won't leak. Please measure your end pin diameter accurately.

A1150 8mm or 5/16" shank List: $119.00 Net: $75.00

A1152 10mm or 3/8" shank $119.00 $75.00

A1153 5/8" shank $119.00 $75.00

A1154 1/2" shank $119.00 $75.00

A1155 9/16" shank. $119.00 $75.00

Shanks for Onyx wheels are interchangeable, in stock, and available. Replacement or additional shanks, any of the 5 sizes $25.00 $15.00

------------------
    François Blais
    blaisf@clic.net

5. dbasssf

dbasssf

Feb 7, 2000
    On the topic of wheels, I had a question for those who use. My bass is about 150 years old and has had some major repare work, in addition to needing some more repare work, on the bottom and ribs. I was wondering if a wheel would transfer shocks into the wood and possible produce cracks and other problems? I have no problem carrying my bass, but i was inquiring in case the load could lighten up.

- Dave in CA

6. To answer your question, no. The reason I prefer the BMR wheel is that it's inflatable, and you can make it squishy or firm to match the environment. Now one friend's bass suffered a broken neck inside one of those bullet-proof bass trunks, so theoretically, anything is possible. But by my observation and experience, the odds are infinitesimal that a wheel would cause damage.

7. Anna

Anna

Jan 20, 2000
    Dave-If you are worried about using a wheel you could try a shoulder strap system. For short distances I use a strap that is attached on each side of the case to the handles. When I was a student I had a walk of a couple of Km with my bass and I had it rigged so that I could carry it like a back pack. If you try this just watch out for doorways and low ceilings.

8. Trust me, the day you use a wheel, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

9. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Having recently moved to the Big Apple, I definetely need a bass wheel. I recently saw one advertised on Hammond's site that was an "onyx style" wheel close to half the cost of the Onyx. Don, is the BMR still available to your knowledge? My basses have very different enpins, so interchangeable shanks would be very helpful. Any other suggestions or discussion of bass wheels would be appreciated.

10. bassgeek: The distributor of the BMR wheel has disappeared. I did a nationwide search on Switchboard.com, with no luck. I'll ask around to see what's out there. Gage has one, but the price I heard seemed very high. If I find anything, I'll get back to you.

11. bsgk: The picture in the Hammond site is very much like my BMR, except the BMR is inflatable and came with a hand pump (La-ti-dah). I don't know an Onyx when I see one. All my endpins are the same except for the Kay, and since BMR is kaput and I can't get an adapter, I'll probably go with the Hammond. I've matched prices on some standard items and Hammond seems to come in under Lemur.

12. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Don, thanks for the advice. I'll probably check out the Hammond also unless I can work a deal with Gage. My Realist pickup went out with no warning (just after the warranty ran out of course).

13. suz

suz

Feb 4, 2008
    A number of years ago I made a bass wheel out of a joist hanger, lawn mower tire and a couple bolts.
    Total cost: $6.95. Oddly, I made several more for colleagues after the initial creation. 15 minutes in any mega hardware store mixed with a little ingenuity will result in a wheel cheaper than store bought. There are an infinite number of wheels (pneumatic and hard), plus parts galore to tinker with. Your creation will never be as engineered or crafted as store bought, but if you're on budget, being inventive isn't something to be ashamed of. Either way, ask yourself this important question: is a bass, whether cheap or expensive, old or new, really meant to be rolled about the street like a unicyle? Probably not. This is why I've nixed my wheel and always pull up as close as possible to wherever I play, unload the bass, then go and park the car. Takes longer, but why hurry.

14. I got the KCStrings Bass Buggie and it works like a charm. Perhaps more expensive but in my opinion is a lot easier on the bass without the risk of damage, at least so KCStrings says. I believe them!

I will say though to put the bungie like cord around the neck first and pull other end over the end pin. There is a danger of getting whacked by the bungie cord!

15. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Living in NYC, I sometimes find myself trekking a good 15-20 blocks. I've had some problems with the kind of wheel that only comes with one side plate for the axle. I recently bought the Gaines wheel, which has the side plate on both sides, and haven't looked back. Those long treks are now worry-free.

16. Living in NYC at the moment too and the KC sure comes in handy when I need to travel far and fast. I broke one and KCStrings sent me a new one right away (i guess they see me as their guinea pig in the crazy city).

17. greboman

greboman

Feb 17, 2011
    Try www.basswheel.co.uk I've used their wheels for years to transport my basses around and they are great. They've just become more commercial hence the web site is new but they are very good and reasonably priced. Two models deluxe and light. Peter

18. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bought the XEROS wheel and I think it works fine. It's got an inflatable tire. I think the Gaines wheel is better because the shaft is much nicer (clears throat) and would have gotten it if I used a wheel every day. As it is, I need a wheel about 10 times a year, so for me, the XEROS does the trick.