Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass wiring question extravaganza

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by centralharbor, Jan 30, 2006.

1. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    I plan on getting a p/j passive bass. I have some questions:

1. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a vol/blend/tone with series parallel for a p/j setup? If not, does anyone mind making one?

2. I was looking at the Bartolini CBpj set and Seymor Duncan quarter pounders, which do you think would be the most versitile? Which would be more suited for a mellow rock, and aggressive sound?

So, not really an extravaganza, but questions nontheless. I'm more concerned with #1 if anyone can help with that, that would be awesome and I would have to kiss your butt for a while.

TIA

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    The answer to your first question can be found on Stew Mac's website under their wiring diagrams. For your second question I vote the Duncans. Nothing says rock to me, like 1/4 lbers.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
  4. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Awesome fast response, thanks! I do have one more question though, how does the capacitor affect the tone?

5. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars

it attenuates(bleeds off) frequencies to ground. in a standard tone knob, the treble frequencies. the "highs" go straight to the grounding pin on the output jack, rather than signal output. the higher the cap value, the more high frequency cut. the pot value will also effect the tone.

6. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    what if i dont use a cap, is that bad?

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Not at all. I leave my passive basses runing wide open, so I don't even use a tone pot.

8. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    so without the cap, just the knob, it would give me more range?

also, do the quarter pounders do mellow rock good? (ala deleo)