Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass with a bow

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by melodic prep, Dec 24, 2003.

1. melodic prep

melodic prep

Dec 2, 2003
    :confused: I was just wondering if a bass played with a bow would be a cello ? If not can someone tell me the dif. I play ele. bass , but think a cello would be cool. thanx

2. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    Both a bass and a cello can be played with or without a bow.
    Although both are in the bass register, the double bass is both larger and has lower notes than the cello. A cello body, not including neck, is usually about 29 1/2 incles long for a full size cello. A bass is altogether about 6 feet tall.
    Maybe you can check out some of the newbie links for more information.

3. melodic prep

melodic prep

Dec 2, 2003
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Martin. You have been quite helpful. Although I've never heard a bass played with a bow.

4. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    There are many fine cds available now of very good bassists playing arco(bow). We can all thank Gary Karr for being the modern initator of solo bass. He has a web site, and many fine CDs availalbe. They are a real ear opener.
    Another would be Edgar Meyer.
    Also check out the Double Bassist Magazine, and the International Society of Bassists(ISB).

5. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    You probably have heard bowed bass. Classical, orchestral music in particular. Also the tuning intervals of upright bass is usually the same as electric bass. Cello is not.

Martin, why do I sense Troll?