Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass with a MM 'bucker in the P position?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Has anyone played, owned, or made a bass with a MM style humbucker in the P position?

Ibanez made one for a while that I was very unimpressed with (way to trebbly). If installing a paralell/series in my jazz makes it significantly p "like" I am considering putting a MM style humbucker in place of the quarter pounder that is presently in my MIM pbass.

Thoughts, considerations and experiences please...

2. Try a MM Sabre.

OR, get a hold of a new two pickup stingray, they are a new model, and see how it sounds.

Even a G&L L-2000 can get yer head in the right ballpark. I really loved mine. Deep, gutteral, commanding tone.

Surprising that the Ibeenhad was too trebly, I would have suspected exactly opposite.

Mon

3. G&L L-2000/L-2500
    Warwick Double Buck $$
    Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray with double humbuckers (upcoming?)

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I completely forgot about the G&L, I played an L-1000 that was just beautiful sounding. Would a SD musicman rep. system (pickup and preamp) in a pbass sound similar?

The other basses mentioned had pickups in front of or behind the "p" position right? if memory serves me, only the L-1000 has it actually in the p-position.

The ibanez was a recent model in the sr series and was like most active ibanez I've tried, very trebbly with lots of fretnoise and almsot no way to cut the trebble to depth that I like.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Warwick FNA 4 is another. I just sold mine, it was great.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the MM that wreaks P tone is the Neodyne Bongo pup. Don't know if the Neodyne is any major factor in that or not. I've mounted an MM mid position but really can't rememble the results - although it may be listed in the Dimento MM experiments. Seems alnico MM's pull a decent P tone mounted at the bridge where I typically run them so it should just be little darker, less clean, and louder at the P position. I've gotten better P tone from some J's pairs however than pretty much anything to date. Adding a J at the bridge may be the compliment that's needed to pull a better P tone as I've gotten better P tone with the J to flavor it. Personally, I still haven't had a P pup that puts out a good P tone by itself.

Oh yeh, just throw a larger cap value in to darken tone - cheap, quick, and easy. Fretnoise indicates rounds so you may try flats or half-rounds and that may be all that's needed to pull the P tone you're looking for.

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Pop a Dark Star there instead....

[​IMG]

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Dude,
    How does the dark star in your bass sound? That looks like a really intriguing idea. I also dig the look of a darkstar.

How much does it cost? That may be just what I am looking for.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  10. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Wow 150 bucks. It's alot of $, but it looks like just what I would want in a pickup. Man oh man.... Is thier anything that sounds remotley similar?

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ

Nothing to my knowledge.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Probably more like $175 by the time you include shipping and the trim ring but I haven't heard anything negative about the pup and that's not out of line for a pup that gets the job done. Couldn't really make out from that pic but the bottom looks unconventional and may pose a problem depending on the depth. At any rate, looks like suspension by a trim ring may be a must.

And I wasn't aware Rick Turner was part of Alembic - dude has been around.

There have been some new old stock Dearmond Starfires on ebay that have gone for $30 or less and as far as I know they're still going. I picked up a pair for $60 and they're decent and worth the money. No Darkstar to date for a comparison but for the bucks, you could pick a Dearmond up and move it on if it doesn't cut it and not be out much. The Dearmonds are very Fender-like in tone from my recall (review in HB's). Little smaler in length than an MM but about the same size when the mounting braket is included so it looks like rerouting for an MM afterthefact if the Dearmond is jetisoned would be a marginal propostion.

Keep in mind these are "narrow" string spaced pups ala EBO and you're not going to get by with a conventional bridge. In fact, I couldn't even mount the neck Dearmond pup P position with a schaller roller with the rollers in as far as they'd go - barely made it at the bridge position. I hope to work out a narrow bridge with lateral adjustment with Hambone so I can make use of EBO's, the Dearmonds, Rics, and the like.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    What's so special about them (admittedly pretty damn cool-looking) Dark Stars? I take it they sound ultra-woofy?